dates of 2006 Carnival?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

czdiver

Reaction score
Some friends and myself are planning to visit Cozumel in February....or possibly March. We're either going to be staying at the Vista Del Mar or the Casa Colonial Villas. We'd like to book a week so that we can catch at least some of the Carnival 2006 events. Anyone know the dates or a schedule of events for the 2006 Carnival?

czdiver:
Some friends and myself are planning to visit Cozumel in February....or possibly March. We're either going to be staying at the Vista Del Mar or the Casa Colonial Villas. We'd like to book a week so that we can catch at least some of the Carnival 2006 events. Anyone know the dates or a schedule of events for the 2006 Carnival?

I don't know the schedule of events for Carnival on Coz but Fat Tuesday (aka Mardi Gras) is on Feb 28, 2006.

Thanks. I did find out from a local villa owner in Cozumel that Carnival begins Fat Tuesday, which is indeed Feb. 28th in 2006, and that Carnival Sunday is always 7 weeks before Easter, which is March 5th. Now, since we're planning on going Sat. to Sat., we're trying to decide weather to go for the opening parades, or go the week after to catch Carnival Sunday and the closing parades on the following Tues. Hmmm......decisions, decisions.

Nope, Fat Tuesday is the night of the end. It's all over for forty days. Carnival is the week+ befor Fat Tuesday. If I remember right Fat Tuesday is followed by Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday is no fun. Be there the 24th or 25th and don't plan on diving till the 2nd. I'll have to think about this in the morning.

adios don O

czdiver:
Thanks. I did find out from a local villa owner in Cozumel that Carnival begins Fat Tuesday, which is indeed Feb. 28th in 2006, and that Carnival Sunday is always 7 weeks before Easter, which is March 5th. Now, since we're planning on going Sat. to Sat., we're trying to decide weather to go for the opening parades, or go the week after to catch Carnival Sunday and the closing parades on the following Tues. Hmmm......decisions, decisions.

I concur with donoo...Fat Tuesday is the LAST night of Carnival with the big Grande Finale parade...

I honestly haven't received my notice for official 2006 Carnival dates though...last year the dates were completley changed due to an election.

Sherri...are you out there...what are the official dates...do we know yet??? :)

UPDATE: This from Sherri/Jackie at Cozumel Insider (Sherri serves as an official on the Carnaval Committee):
Hi Christi-
No official dates yet. Fat Tuesday falls on Feb. 28th next year and since it's not an election year, the dates should fall as normal- Once they are official Sherri will update the website if you want to keep this link as a favorite- www.cozumelinsider.com/carnaval she will post the dates and all the activities that are planned.

Thank you so much. I'm so glad I didn't rely on the villa owners information. I would have booked my trip for the week after it was all over. I was wondering why you said we shouldn't plan to dive until the 2nd? Do the dive operators not work during Carnival? Airfares seem to be cheapest if we fly on Saturdays, and we did want to get 4 or 5 days of diving in when there.

One more question. I had thought we'd stay at the Vista Del Mar so we'd be within walking distance to everything. Also, all the reviews say it's very clean and has a friendly staff. The only bad things I've heard are that there's no elevators, and that sometimes there's a hot water issue. But, a friend of mine said they always stay at the Casa Del Mar and find it wonderful in every way. She suggested that it might be quieter for sleeping if we were a little outside of town. But then we'd have to taxi in all the time. Which one do you suggest?

czdiver:
I was wondering why you said we shouldn't plan to dive until the 2nd? Do the dive operators not work during Carnival?

I'm confused...are you addressing this to me??? I'm not aware of telling anyone not to plan on diving until the 2nd...if we've communicated by e-mail, I simply don't recognize your screen name...sorry!

czdiver:
One more question. I had thought we'd stay at the Vista Del Mar so we'd be within walking distance to everything. Also, all the reviews say it's very clean and has a friendly staff. The only bad things I've heard are that there's no elevators, and that sometimes there's a hot water issue. But, a friend of mine said they always stay at the Casa Del Mar and find it wonderful in every way. She suggested that it might be quieter for sleeping if we were a little outside of town. But then we'd have to taxi in all the time. Which one do you suggest?

I personally would choose Vista del Mar OVER Casa del Mar. It's a cute place, correct, no elevator, but what's a flight or two of stairs?

More importantly probably is to find out where your dive op will pick you up. If they will not pick you up downtown, then I would stay at Casa del Mar (definiely a one or two star place...so don't expect much...vey small rooms, hard beds, same hot/cold water issues as anywhere else, nothing fancy). You can walk to town from here, but it's not a short walk...most people cab it.

Just figuring that if you party Saturday thru Tuesday the 28th, Wednesday the 1st might not be a good day to dive. So start on the 2nd. Now if you didn't want to go to Carnival to party, but to just take pictures. Dive every day.

If I remember right, Vista del Mar jacks up their rates for this week. But then, you might get to look down on the parade from your deck.

adios don O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom