Day One

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEMA 2005

Reaction score
Welcome to DEMA 2005! The show has just opened, attendees are starting to fan out. We're already busy talking to current members and convincing non-members to signup, it’s been an exciting start! Throughout the week we will be posting a combination of live news and nightly recaps, check back often for the latest updates.

Here's a few companies we've talked with so far:

Ocean Technology Systems - makers of the buddy phone and other underwater communication systems

ScubaMatch.Com - Dive "dating" Site.

Tech Diving Limited – Equipment

Deep Sea Supply – Equipment

TW Scuba – Makers of a tank fastener system

And many, many more…

This has definitely been a notch up from last year's DEMA at Houston. Traffic is way up and the exhibitors are smiling!

Our "image" has grown as well. Instead of most people telling us they have never heard of ScubaBoard, we have a TON telling us their user name. The best quote came from one Dive shop who said "We don't know who the hell you are, but EVERYONE on our dive boats talk about you!" While we would LOVE to take credit for the growing awareness of the best surface interval on the planet, we owe to YOU, our loyal user base who keep spreading the news about our site around the Globe.

There are quite a number of new products being displayed for the first time. We will try to go into detail on these later on in the week, but here is a quick list:

The RapidDiver System: Great concept for both public safety divers and boat owners who want a compact, easy and QUICK setup for diving. See www.RapidDiver.com for more details!

Deep Sea Supply has an AWESOME new hydration system... but don't look for it on www.DeepSeaSupply.com just yet!

Atomic has come out with a new mask as well! It sports an ultra clear distortion free lens with a life warranty on the frame. It might be the edge you need to find those elusive frogfish!

TDL has come out with several new products too! The Nautilus Dive Planner, available in modes from 70FSW to 1500FSW, new Oxy and HE analysers and a couple of new stainless steel SPGs! Check 'em out at www.TechDivingLimited.com

Bubbleseekers is proud to announce the beginning of a whole new era of dive lights. The new KMA-75 light uses a new type of ARC gap bulb. The KMA-75 bulbs are comparable to metal halide bulbs in luminous efficiency with two to five times the life and twice as rugged. You can find more about them at www.BubbleSeekers.com, but don't let their shark scare you off!

We got to spend some time with the producers of ОКТОПУС (Octopus): A Russian magazine with some STUNNING photos. It was a chance for NetDoc to display just how much Russian he had forgotten since his college days. Go to www.octopus.ru for more details.

Hamanasi from Belise has come out with a strong suite of packages starting from $1382 on up! They offer a mix of both underwater and above ground excursions that are included in the offer! Check out www.Hamanasi.com for details.

Finally but definitely NOT least, our good friends from Plaza Resort Bonaire are STILL offering FREE NITROX when you book your vacation from them.

OK gang... that was merely DAY ONE! Our feet are already sore, and our throats are parched from the dry air! Tech Admin has been busy scoping out all of the buffets in town, and poor ol' NetDoc is still trying to recover from all that diving in Bonaire!

Special thanks and major kudos to ROakey and Otter for their willingness to help out at the booth! It would not be the same show without you guys!

I hauled out enough stuff from all the booths that I'll have to buy another suitcase to get it home. And I only hit half of the booths.

Hmm I need to trade jobs with NetDoc, shucks gotta go diving in Bonaire this week...nope now I gotta fly to DEMA, more shucks...gotta do some diving out in Iceland. Not sure I could handle it...

BTW I heard a rumor about a new "tech diving" manufact. starting up. Something about the owner (FMR. owner?) of Dive-Rite (I think) starting something new. Any truth to this?

It was great fun seeing TechAdmin and Otter and meeting NetDoc at DEMA. How come you haven't posted the "wins" of Craig and Ted yet??? The Haskell booth really donated to ScubaBoard representatives!

This is a huge show -- I still did not get through it all in a day... I will have to finish up on Friday. Hits for me included watching Wyland create a huge painting from a blank canvas during opening day, and attending a seminar with Stan Waterman revisiting "Blue Water, White Death" shark diving days from the early '70's.

The ScubaBoard booth is awesome, I was very impressed!! Have fun!

jennifer

Just returned home from DEMA 2005. I could only spend 3 days there and didn't get a chance to see everything I wanted, but came close It was great putting names and faces together with SCUBABOARD members and fellow MODS from around the world.

I brought my copy of Shadow Divers and had it autographed by John Chatterton and Richie Kohler. Those two are class acts..both VERY down to earth and have not taken their fame to heart. I also was able to meet up with Jeff Bozanic..another funny guy who doesn't take himself too seriously....both pleasant reminders that most divers are not the over blown ego maniacs that far too often are the most vocal in the (internet)scuba community.

As Sapphire pointed out, TechAdmin and I both won dive Freestyle dive watches from Haskel (we almost won a booster!)...thank goodness TechAdmin's model had the small numbers and mine had the large ones! Poor Sapphire didn't get called or the SB membership would have made a clean sweep of the contest....Sapphire, make sure you go to the Suunto booth as they are giving away a new D9 and right next door AquaLung is giving away one of their Mistral regs. Bring one or both home!

Lastly, with Mo2vation's minor prodding ( I had been waiting for DEMA to do this), I pulled the trigger and orded my CLX450 dry suit. I am just plain tired of being cold in my wetsuit (a 9-7-6 no less!). At the DEMA rates, I went for it all and should be toasty in a few weeks.

I posted the pic of me, John Chatterton, and Richie Kohler taken with my cell phone and will post more pics as soon as I get them from TechAdmin.

All in all a great time helping our SB community continue to grow.

I only went for one day and it was definitely not enough time. I spent all day on Tuesday, opening day. I placed an order with Oceanic and spun the wheel of prizes and won a Delta 4 regulator! We also purchased some UW communication devices from OceanReef, very cool. I stopped by the SB booth and said "hi" to TechAdmin. I saw Guy Harvey creating a painting and Steve Wyland putting the finishing touches on a dolphin painting.

Does anyone know anything about the Titan CCR on BubbleSeekers website? Anything at DEMA about it? Sounds interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom