TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - January 7-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Zoom Seekers, Orcas, Zoo Lights, & more
(please scroll down for details)
Back to a "regular" TWARS now that the holidays are behind us . . .

AND WE'LL START WITH . . . - Happy New Year!!! Hopefully 2024 has started off with a bang for you and that there will be good things in the coming weeks and months that lie ahead of us.

NEW CAR FOR ME IN 2024 - You may recall that I mentioned in November that my beloved Jeep Cherokee was side-swiped in a freeway accident - hit-and-run, uninsured driver with expired registration, no one in our car injured - and then my car was totaled by my insurance company (which actually worked out quite well and 21st Century/Farmers was terrific all the way). All of this as I was leaving for two weeks on our Maldives trip. So even though I'd been contemplating a new car and had done plenty of research and test drives, now I was going to be FORCED to buy a new car. It all worked out well. I had already zeroed in on a KIA Sportage Hybrid and KIA released the 2024 models mid-December. (Who wants a "new" 2023 model in 2024??) I was hoping to get red and by a combination of some diligent internet tracking and sheer luck, I was able to find what I wanted as it was being shipped to KIA of Cerritos. So my joke is that I had to settle for exactly what I wanted. Here's the new ride:​
mail
The worst part of all of this is that the cars nowadays come with voluminous owner's guides and I feel compelled to read through everything they sent, all 1,086 pages. Yikes!!! Just the infotainment system alone as as separate manual of 385 pages which they have the audacity to call "Quick Guide." But so far, so good on the car and if you're in my vicinity, I'm happy to show it off and give you a ride.

GOOD DAY NOT TO BE IN AVALON - Windy, windy, windy!!! Where did it all come from? As we've said many times, wind is what can really make a place undiveable. That was the case with the Underwater Park Sunday. Mark Guccione is a buddy and lead instructor at Catalina Divers Supply. Every day he posts a video on FaceBook called "Mark at the Park" to give you updated diving conditions. With the wind blowing into Avalon overnight and this morning, conditions were, shall we say, less than favorable. So it brings to mind one of my favorite sayings of, "You never get hurt on a dive you don't make." I'm not sure if you need to be signed up for FB, but here's a link to Mark's short video of today's conditions. "Gnarly" doesn't even begin to describe it: https://www.facebook.com/mark.guccione/videos/827471925817957

ZOOM SEEKERS ON HIATUS - I gave this a lot of thought the last few months but have decided that Zoom Seekers, our monthly Zoom-based lecture series (our equivalent of a dive club) is going to take a break. Zoom Seekers debuted in January, 2021, because of the pandemic and was held every month since on the second Tuesday of the month from 7:30-9:00PM. We really appreciate the efforts of all of our speakers these past three years. But it's a lot of work to put together the speaker schedule, our speakers need to commit time and effort to assembling and then presenting their talk, and lately the attendance numbers just seem to justify taking a break and maybe re-tooling. So I'm not going to say "cancelled" but we'll take a short break and see what's what. Maybe we'll come back on a quarterly basis or something like that and we will obviously keep you posted. But many thanks to all of you who "attended" these in the past and remember that we've archived them on the Reef Seekers website so you can revisit any of the talks any time you like. Here's the link: ZOOM SEEKERS FULL 2021-2023 ARCHIVE.

ORCAS STILL IN THE AREA - We mentioned in the January newsletter that there's been a pod of perhaps as many as a dozen Orcas in our local SoCal waters and it seems they're still hanging around. No one really knows how long they'll stay - most of the assumptions are that this is based on available food sources - but whale-watching boats are having a field day when they run into them. Because the Orcas are hunting, they've been observed making a few kills, including a Gray Whale calf and some dolphins. But it's also nature at work. Mike Coffer's been getting some great shots and also shared these two photos from Capt. Dave's in Newport (https://www.dolphinsafari.com/). You can see how close they're getting to the boats. And you'll be pleased to know the Mola Mola was unscathed, despite the close approach:​
mail
mail
LET'S TALK ABOUT YAP IN SEPTEMBER - We've got a robust slate of foreign trips this year which includes revisiting Yap in September. Despite all the rain we had during our 2023 trip, we still had a great time and had some incredible dives. We're going in September right after MantaFest and we'll catch the tail end of their BlackWaterFest if black-water diving is of interest to you. I've still got to nail down some specifics but we always have a great time in Yap and would love to be able to show you why this is such a special place to us. Give us a call if you're interested so we can put you on the list and stick mantas and more in your face in 2024.

L.A. ZOO LIGHTS - For the past few years, the L.A. Zoo has had a holiday evening thing going called "Animals A-Glow." It's fabric sculptures of many, many animals (some of which are aquatic), all lit up internally, and all over the zoo. It was, in a word, fabulous. Many thanks to Zoo volunteer Betsy Suttle for the tix. If you didn't get a chance to go this time round, here's what you missed (and make sure to mark it on your calendar for next year): L.A. ZOO LIGHTS - ANIMALS A-GLOW.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom