Day trip on the Peace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since people were kind enough to answer some questions I had about diving on the Peace, I figured I should post a few words on my experience diving with them last week, on a day trip to Anacapa. I spent the night before the charter aboard, but didn't make it to the boat until 11pm so I didn't do much other than stash my gear, sign in, and work on setting up my dry gloves. On this trip I was using the Si Tech quick clamp system for the first time, and I used the bunk light and a headlamp to attach the mating rings to my drysuit cuffs before going to sleep. I didn't take any pictures of the bunk room because there was always someone in there, and I didn't want to disturb anyone, even though each bunk had its own privacy curtain. But, here's a photo of the main salon looking forward toward the galley. Just to my right out of the photo is the sign in area, and a soda fountain/water tap. About where I was standing there were stairs on either side down to the bunk room, and a head/shower just off the top of the stairs behind sliding doors.

Attachments

• peace cabin.jpg
    peace cabin.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 145
The next morning, things started getting active around 6am for the 7am departure, with guests waking and arriving. Breakfast was laid out in the salon, including bagels and toast, and fruit. People mostly set up their gear in the morning on this trip, though rental equipment was aboard the night before, and rental tanks labeled with guest names. Here's a photo of the bow taken at 7am just before departure.

Attachments

• Peace bow.jpg
    Peace bow.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 104
The cruise over to Anacapa from Ventura was easy, the surface was glassy. The dive deck was roomy, on this trip we were below full load but it looked like it would be manageable on a full trip as well. Entry was via side gates port and starboard, with the vessel anchored fore and aft with her stern toward the island usually in about 30-50 feet of water. Boarding was via a swim step. As has been noted, the crew helps you doff your fins and hands them up to the deck while you hoist yourself aboard the stern ladders. The ladders were easy enough to use. All divers are checked in and out, and a roll is confirmed before departing a dive site. A site briefing is provided, and the crew motored around the point to check conditions and pick the best available for the dive day, which I appreciated. You take off your first stage, and get a fill from a retracting whip. I used an HP 80, and got good fills of 3400-3500. And yes, you can rent HP steel tanks.

Attachments

• Peace at gate.jpg
    Peace at gate.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Peace transom.jpg
    Peace transom.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 54
There is a shower on the dive deck, and the salon is wet, while the bunk areas are strictly dry (no damp drysuits either). Dive conditions were nice, vis around 25-30 feet, minimal swell, no signficant current, and temps around 62 degrees. Overall, I had a great trip, the crew lived up to their reputation as professional and capable. I would definitely dive again with them.

Attachments

• peace shower.jpg
    peace shower.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 48
  • peace livewell.jpg
    peace livewell.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 46
the Peace I went on years ago (over 20?) had a hot tub on deck. Still there? couldn't tell from the pics

Yes, it is still there.

I adore the Peace. A truly professional crew, and they used to have unbelievable gourmet food.

I did several trips with the San Francisco Reef Divers on the Peace many years ago. Great boat & great crew.

Peace is by far my favorite dive boat in SoCal. You picked the best!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom