DC 800 HELP red pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA BEAR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My first time using my new camera. I took it snorkeling today to get use to it before my first dive with it. I started out in the auto sea mode ( ocean blue in Maui ) All the pictures have a reddish hue to them. What did I do wrong. I took a few in manual mode and they were not bad but not sure how they would be at depth. I have a dive to about 40 feet in a few days and was hoping to use the auto mode. Should I just shoot in manual with a strobe instead?
Thanks, Sherri

Hi- if you are snorkeling over shallow depth then you dont need the sea mode for shooting. Your ambient light and colors are close to surface shooting. So just use normal mode while snorkeling then when you dive put it back to sea mode. have fun

I made the same mistake... You dont need nor want the color correction under 20 feet as stated above. Sea mode is for depths where red begins to disappear and has to be fixed. Rest assured, these pictures are correctable with any decent program.

So far everyone has said the same thing and they are right, at shallower depths where there is sufficent ambient light, you won't need the red filters. At the 40ft depth however the red filter will work wonders!

You can do a little work on them with your editing software. It also depends on what is in the image but you can get them to look a little better.

After the first few photos I took using Lakes and also Ocean Green, I thought my buddies were holding their breath! Yup, definately need to stay deep to use those filters!

Back
Top Bottom