DC1000 First Impressions (Multiple Pictures - Dialup Users Warned)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabbath999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sealife swapped out my DC800 (after 3 of them were defective... story of this available elsewhere on this site) for a DC1000.

PREFACE: I bought the DC800 Maxx kit, and basically everything fits the DC1000 except the camera case (which I returned to Sealife) and the actual camera. The DC1000 Maxx kit has the wide angle wet lens and keeper in it, and is more expensive than the DC800 (which can't use the wide angle wet lens). The Maxx kit case has a cut out for the wet lens, so I will eventually buy it seperately.

I have not had the opportunity to use the camera (which I got a week ago or so) in open water but I have had two pool sessions with it (one with dual strobes, one without) and I can give some initial observations and show you a few pictures. They are quite boring, but they will give you an idea of the quality of the camera.

I am a NOOB at underwater photography, but have shot extensively (to say the least) above water.

I plan to do a FULL review of this camera at a later date, and am thinking about starting a point&shoot underwater camera review website eventually.

Right now, here are my first impressions and a few thoughts about the DC1000.

First: It is what it is. It is a point & shoot camera, with all of the pros and cons of a point & shoot. It isn't a DSLR, nor does it pretend to be. That is neither good nor bad, nor is it unexpected.

ALL IMAGES ARE UNCROPPED, UNEDITED AND UNSHARPENED (except as noted).

Image Quality, land: The image quality on land is OK. Not good, not bad, simply OK.

Here are a couple of pictures to show you land image quality:

p154310394-3.jpg

EXIF: 1/629 at f/5.3, auto exposure and white balance, ISO 64, lens zoomed out.

p54905822-3.jpg

EXIF: 1/272 at f/6.2, EXIF: 1/629 at f/5.3, auto exposure and white balance, ISO 64, lens zoomed in to about 2X

The colors are not quite accurate (especially the sky), the whites are blown out on the white house (could have been fixed with exposure compensation), but the shots are reasonably sharp and purple fringing in the trees is not an apparent problem.

The only real problem I saw with the camera is that it is soft on the edges when fully zoomed in to 5X. Notice how the right side of the frame is rather blurred:

p504546341-3.jpg

EXIF: 1/226 at f/8, EXIF: 1/629 at f/5.3, auto exposure and white balance, ISO 64, lens zoomed in to 5X.

The same scene taken at 3X is completely sharp along the right edge:
p9748386-3.jpg

BTW that's not a lens defect, the peak of the roof of my favorite test house is bent.

How much of an issue of importance is this to your underwater photography? Honestly, to mine it will be a complete non-issue since I have no intention of using a 5X zoom underwater. Most of my stuff will either be wide angle or macro where I am getting as close as possible.

Every lens has its sweet spots and the areas that it struggles... the lenses on the DC1000 are not particularly good, but they aren't horrible... they are, in fact, good enough to take sharp pictures underwater when not fully extended, and that's about all one can expect in a Point & Shoot. The DC800's I had tried all had either defective lenses on the particular camers I owned or a defective design, I have never figured out which. The DC1000 is a significant upgrade in lens quality, it is a different design entirely.

There is some vignetting when the lens is wide open, I have yet to measure it but it is there. Again, not something that is a big concern underwater, but I thought I would mention it.

Underwater Image Quality:

NOTE... these images were taken with Sealife Dual External Strobes, this is not indicative of what your camera will do with the built-in flash... I did this to show how sharp I could get pictures underwater. These pictures were taken in a pool with moderately clear pool water, at 8-10 feet in depth, my first try ever using multiple strobes under water. The pool bottom was white. I started out shooting on fully auto but the camera was overexposing everything so I then switched over to manual and dialed down the flashes until it looked good. In situations where the bottom isn't either all white or metal, I expect I would dial the power back up on the strobes a bit.

The Nut: This is my test nut (a 5/8ths nut). It holds the drain at the bottom of the pool:

All are shot in macro mode, with the lens at its widest focal length with me getting "pretty close" to it. The differences in lighting are because I moved the flash head angles and was hovering.

p194978110-3.jpg

p316447532-3.jpg

p175863106-3.jpg

p232592185-3.jpg

p120168742-3.jpg

p384574351-3.jpg

The reason I am showing you 6 copies of the bolt, nut and washer is to show that the camera consistantly made the same exposure and puts out a consistantly decent image quality.

OK... now for a couple non-nut pictures :dork2:

p398407913-3.jpg

The cone is about 8 inches tall or so. I rotated the picture. Here is another one unrotated.

p257432932-3.jpg

The wife blowing bubble rings:

p192782988-3.jpgc

(I did lighten this one up a bit and turned it 180 degrees).

The wife's hand at the bottom of the pool:

p287379546-3.jpg

The wife (slightly overexposed... the colors are not as good as I would like but they certainly could be fixed in post)

p147061628-3.jpg

More to come later, check back on this post for things like ISO performance, exposure, etc.

Last edited:
Thnx for taking the time to do this, I have still not heard from sealife joe, have you?

Sorry everyone, have been away from the board for a while and apologize for not getting back to everyone timely.

Sabbath, looks like the 1000 is holding up to the testing!

Great post!!!

Update: I did an unofficial battery test, I took 100 pictures with the DC1000, 75 with flash and 100 without on a freshly conditioned battery (ran it dry, recharged it beforehand as the manufacturer recommends).

It had not moved off of full, so I was curious how long it would shoot video. I put it on the highest resolution (640x480) and it croaked at 1 hour 54 minutes 38 seconds.

IMHO that's actually pretty darned impressive.

I am so glad to see you are having a better time with the 1000..As an owner of the Old DC500 which still takes great shots BTW, I did have a great response from Sealife when I first got mine and had issues...

UPDATE:

I have tried the DC1000 with both Class 6 and Class 4 8gig SDHC cards, as well as a 30X Class 6 4GB card... additionally, I tried it with a Class 2 card.

I found no significant differences between the cards of the same class, but using slower SD cards does increase the lag slightly on non-flash pictures. I can't tell a difference on flash pictures (since the lag is determined not by the card write speed but rather the flash recycle time).

I have not yet uploaded pictures to my computer from the camera, I use a high speed reader, and obviously the faster cards are much better performers at that.

I think an excellent match for this camera is the Sandisk Extreme III series of SDHD cards, as well as the Transcend Class 6 cards.

Hey, Sabbath, what settings do u use most ? I have bought the camera with wide angle lens also and i was thinking whats your setup underwater / snorkel mode, diving, other, etc :)

Here is a test of what i`ve done last wk in Black Sea, visibility 2 meters...probably not the best place to test a camera but thats as close as possible i could get u/w beside pool.

the pics have been a little edited( levels, contrast, color, noise ) because the original ones @ 1-2m visibility you dont get to capture much.

ps: Last picture has a filter also.

Attachments

• eforie week-end 001.jpg
    eforie week-end 001.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 82
  • eforie week-end 009.jpg
    eforie week-end 009.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 88
  • eforie week-end 026.jpg
    eforie week-end 026.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 72
  • eforie week-end 143.jpg
    eforie week-end 143.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 80
  • eforie week-end 009 copy.jpg
    eforie week-end 009 copy.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 86
Honestly, I haven't had a chance to use it much... the local water is TERRIBLE right now (I am in the Midwestern US and that means green water quarry diving).

I have a BUNCH of dives planned for when we go to our "second home" next month (Kona) so I will get a chance to really let lose.

Right now the vis where I am is 5 feet or less, so I haven't even taken it down with me. I am thinking I may take it this weekend though just to see what is happening.

I promise I will update with any pictures I have.

I have used it a bit at work taking pictures of houses (I work for an insurance company, they need pictures of houses that we insure) just to keep my hand in, and it takes house pictures just fine :).

I will keep you all informed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom