DDD Goes To The Galapagos Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this isn't about diving around here...but thought I would post a few pictures from my trip to the Galapagos Islands. The short story is we spent seven full days diving aboard the Deep Blue Liveaboard Yacht. If you ever do a live aboard in the Galapagos...you should give these guys a call. First class operation all the way. We hoped we were hitting the peak Whale Shark season. Our goal was to see at least one or two whale sharks. We made 8 dives at Darwin Island, we saw two to three whale sharks on EACH and every dive. It was awesome. Not to mention all the other animals we were able to swim with. I have a lot of video I will try to put together. My best Whale Shark moments were on video.

Here was our home for 7 days. Deep Blue 108 foot yacht.
deepblueyacht.jpg

Here is one of many Whale Sharks we had the chance to swim with
whalesharkfronton.jpg

whaleshark4.jpg

whaleshark2.jpg

whalesharktop.jpg

turtle-1.jpg

turtleupclose.jpg

Over the week saw hundreds of White Tip Reef, Silky, Hammerheads and Galapagos Sharks
silkyshark.jpg

prettyfish.jpg

keithandfish.jpg

redstarfish.jpg

rainbowfish.jpg

galappuffer.jpg

More pictures on my Photobucket site.

Absolutely incredible. I'm familiar with some of those animals (not the sharks!) because I have been to Baja California a bunch of times and there is a similar fish fauna in both Baja and the Galapagos, i.e., tropical eastern Pacific. It's quite a bit different than the Caribbean fauna. I always wanted to go to the Galapagos, but I heard in the last few years the government has limited cruises to a maximum of only 7 days to reduce visitor impact. Maybe there are good reasons for this, but it seems a pity to travel all the way to a unique spot like the Galapagos and only be able to stay for 7 days. I would like to immerse myself into the environment for longer than that.

do you know if you will be diving Wolf and Darwin island?

Thanks for all the pictures! Leaving for the Galapagos in late Aug./ Sept. Nice to get to whet the apatite!

you are not limited to seven days in Galapagos. A liveaboard might only do 7 days. But then you could go to Santa Cruz island or Cristobal island and take day trips or multiple days trips. I was there for two weeks. Now the last five days were not by choice but there is no limit to your stay. They regulate which groups and how many go to certain sites. But you can plan your trips around all that.

Absolutely incredible. I'm familiar with some of those animals (not the sharks!) because I have been to Baja California a bunch of times and there is a similar fish fauna in both Baja and the Galapagos, i.e., tropical eastern Pacific. It's quite a bit different than the Caribbean fauna. I always wanted to go to the Galapagos, but I heard in the last few years the government has limited cruises to a maximum of only 7 days to reduce visitor impact. Maybe there are good reasons for this, but it seems a pity to travel all the way to a unique spot like the Galapagos and only be able to stay for 7 days. I would like to immerse myself into the environment for longer than that.

You suck! LOL!!!

Glad you're back and doing better, Glen!

the amount of things you will see is sensory overload. Wolf and Darwin are by far the best dives. The current at Wolf was unbelievable. It just added to the enjoyment. Once you let go and float in to the blue, it is a real rush to just shoot along with the current. Sharks and schools of fish just shoot along with you. Great dives!! You will have a blast!

Yes, we will be doing 3 days around Wolf & Darwin Islands. We will be aboard the Humboldt Explorer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom