De Funiak Hotel Report: Super 8 (near Vortex)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsinger74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It is with hesitation that I write this, but the circumstances warrant informing other divers about what happened at this hotel.

This past weekend, my parents and my family booked two rooms at the De Funiak, FL Super 8 while we were diving at Vortex Springs. To cut a long story short, some property of mine (an Ipod) went missing during our stay. The hotel manager was (far) less than courteous about the matter, despite highly questionable actions on the part of the hotel.

As I left for home on Monday, after checking out, I noticed that my Ipod was missing out of my computer bag. I further learned that the evening before, my mother and kids had returned to the hotel to find our hotel door had been left open after the room was serviced, clearly demonstrating some manner of negligence on the part of the hotel staff. To be clear, this is NOT about the Ipod. I am also not accusing the hotel staff of stealing the item. I *am* positing negligence on the part of the hotel in leaving our room open after being serviced, which is highly suspect in considering missing property.

I contacted the hotel Monday night as soon as I realized it was missing. I was referred to the hotel manager, that I called on Tuesday. This is where things went sour.

I attempted to explain the case to the hotel manager and to seek a peaceable solution, when he then turned extremely rude, accused me of all manner of improper actions (including deception and it should have been my responsibility to disclose all of this at the hotel - kind of hard when you don't see something missing until later). He further accused my mother and kids of being the ones to leave the door open, and that they had improperly asked him to open the door for them the day before when they couldn't find their key. He claimed that because we signed in to the hotel that we accepted this risk and he refused to take any action. In the case of negligence (leaving the door open, witnessed by multiple parties), such clauses are (to my understanding) worthless.

Again, this is not about the Ipod. I am concerned that property is missing, but we are more concerned about the way this was handled.

This is very short sighted on his part. Many divers stay there frequently. We ourselves book two rooms for several days at a time, 3-4 times per year. It is quite shameful that this manager is penny wise and pound foolish to not take care of a $300 ipod when he has now lost around $2k per year in business from our two families.

I write this not to complain, but to inform others in the diving community of the situation so that they can factor this in when deciding on accommodations if staying in De Funiak.

The Best Western at the same exit offers a superb sit down breakfast(on the house with a nights stay) at a fer-real restraunt type place, not a continental with stale bread, fruit, and single serving packed cereals.

Never understood why the Super 8 got so much business.

I have an agreement witht he Comfort Inn for diving discounts. This is a new facility and they are more than eager to please. I have sent many people over there and have had no complaints as of yet. The information can be obtained from my website under the lodging section.

I like staying at Vortex. I'm particularly fond of Pinewood #4.:D

If you're going somewhere to dive, why not stay where the dang water is?

I have an agreement witht he Comfort Inn for diving discounts. This is a new facility and they are more than eager to please. I have sent many people over there and have had no complaints as of yet. The information can be obtained from my website under the lodging section.

Shane, I can't find the link. I have stayed at Super 8, but if the price is similar, I would gladly stay at Comfort Inn. Mark

I like staying at Vortex. I'm particularly fond of Pinewood #4.:D

If you're going somewhere to dive, why not stay where the dang water is?

I am more than happy having you stay here (hell I prefer it) but some people do not like the "lodging" style atmosphere. So I have made an agreement with the Comfort Inn in Defuniak Springs. This link can also be found on the "camping facilities" page not the lodging page as I had said before (sorry). The price for divers is around $50.00 per night.

I like the Motor Lodge in Ponce de Leon. Its clean and all you need. Sallys has great breakfast and you can't beat the ribeye at the 4cs.

This weekend we stayed at Otter Creek Lodge on the property at Vortex. I must admit, it had some appeal, and was very easy to get some night dives in even with the kids needing to go to bed!

Thanks everyone for the info. The last time we stayed at that Motel, it was kinda dirty and quite musty smelling. Glad there are worthwhile alternatives. We won't be staying there anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom