Dead Bull & Hammerhead Sharks Wash Up On Florida Beaches This Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaholly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
B-oHLKCVEAEpqvx_large.jpg

It's a normal Wednesday morning for most, as local residents appear on the beach at the break of dawn for their morning cup of coffee and stroll on the beach. But for others it was something out of a nightmare, an 8 ft Bull Shark bleeding out of the ears greeted beach goers as they began their morning routine in South Beach. The shark was believed to have died after a long struggle with a fisherman who released the large animal.

Earlier in the week a smaller Hammerhead was also found on South Florida beaches after becoming a victim to shark finning. Shark finning is a practice primarily in Asian countries where once the shark is caught, as many as three-seven fins are cut off, then the living body is discarded into the ocean left to drown or be eaten alive.
Shark_finning_diagram.svg_large.png

So why would fisherman be so heartless as to cut off shark fins while they are still alive? Well just like any other regulated fishing practice, commercial fishermen have a weight limit on sharks that can be caught in one day. By bringing only the fins back the fisherman greatly reduce the weight of their load. Because the fins are considered a delicacy, the fins of the shark are worth far more than the meat itself. Which in the end results in more money for the heartless fishermen.

Sharks can be crucial to the oceans regulatory ecosystem as well as the human economy in many countries such as Palau. In Palau a single shark is estimated to deliver around 18 million dollars in tourism/diving funds to the economy in one year. So why don't we give sharks a chance?

Remember sharks are friends-not food.

Anonymously report any relations to the washed up sharks this week by clicking here.
Sign up for the PADI Project AWARE Shark Specialty Course to learn more about this issue by clicking here.
Read my other blogs by clicking here.

WhatIsSharkFinning_web_large.jpg
:puppy:

You have to be a sociopath to dismember an animal while it's still alive. It's one thing to kill a shark, fin it and then discard the body. Reprehensible, yes, but dismenbering the animal while still alive is just evil. I would feel no remorse disposing of someone I found doing that. People that are that far gone do not deserve to breathe.

thanks for the info and photo............

"Sharks are our friends" ???? Wish they could remember we are not food..

shark eats person.jpg

Reactions: BRT
Commercial regs in FL and Federal waters do NOT have a weight limit and sharks are brought in whole as the carcass is worth the same amount as the fins on average.Finning in US fisheries is a non issue,illegal and fiscally stupid.

"Sharks are our friends" ???? Wish they could remember we are not food..

I suppose you also chide anyone that says dogs are man's best friend....

Thanks to the OP for posting a relevant article.

I suppose you also chide anyone that says dogs are man's best friend....

Thanks to the OP for posting a relevant article.

Um, sharks don't great me at my door with flip-flops in jowls

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who the cap fit, let them wear it

Despite dogs killing and maiming people every year...

But I think you've missed the point.

I'm not a shark "lover" and definitely definitely love man's best friend.

My only point was how petty and overtly negative someone was in response to an otherwise relevant and informative post.

I'm out of this one as the trolls don't need feeding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom