Dead Sharks at the Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, someone caught me peddling bad science. How rare!You're right on the dinophyte toxins; I spend so much time now with invertebrates my algal expertise is slipping. I once maintained the monoculture stocks at UTMSI, which included non-toxic dinophytes like a Noctiluca and some other junk. How on earth could I have forgotten that...

Guess I'll be brushing up on algae this summer. It's SO NICE to have a phycologist-type on the scubaboard, or anywhere for that matter. Stick around please!

Back to the topic, Emma emailed me that the recent shark deaths are most likely due to bycatch from hook and line fishing. I didn't know you could fish in the Sanctuary, but she says that's what happens at Stetson quite a bit.

I would have thought that released sharks would look more thrashed than the photos showed. They must die very well.

Back
Top Bottom