Deadman Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The May issue of Undercurrent includes reports of a practice being offered by some large Chinese Travel Tour Operators. There have been reports from Bunaken Marine Park in Indonesia, as well as rumors coming from other areas in Southeast Asia including the Philippines, Vietnam, and Thailand. These tour groups are offering Deadman Diving excursions.

A non-diver with no training is suited up in basic dive gear and stands on the top of a reef without wearing any fins, then a Dive Guide grabs on and drags him through the water while holding on to the top of his tank to give him a scuba experience. It has been reported that the Deadman Divers often try to grab onto marine life and cause damage to the corals as they are towed through the water by the Guide.

Undercurrent wants to find out more about this dangerous and destructive practice, so if you have any information please contact: BenDDavison@undercurrent.org

Undercurrent Subscribers can read the article here:
https://www.undercurrent.org/members/UCnow/dive_magazine/2018/DeadmanDiving201805.html

It sounds to me like they are trying to offer an experience similar to a Tandem Skydive, which is a popular and lucrative experience offered by Skydiving Drop Zone operators in the US and elsewhere. The passenger is strapped into a tandem rig along with a real skydiver who controls the jump, but that practice is regulated and controlled - this Deadman Diving sounds like a very bad idea to me!

Last edited:
This sounds to me what I've heard referred to as 'tea-bagging' (google with caution...). I've seen it happen on the GBR with DSDs who cannot actually swim... That said, the few divers I've seen it happening to were not touching. The instructors I saw doing it were limited to one or two 'bags'... I mean divers and it did not look like a terrible way for a DSD to be run in the sense the instructor was in control of depth, speed etc.

I caveat all of this with I've only got just over 50 dives myself and only did my own DSD some two years ago. In fairness however I was trusted to dive under my own steam although within reach of the instructor!

Back
Top Bottom