Deal or No Deal...Is this a good price on a set of doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You say the cylinders are Worthington HP 100s which indicates a steel tank with a service pressure of 3442 PSI. That requires a larger DIN valve capacity then 200 bar

So completely not true. I have 200 bar valves on almost all of my steels and I regularly get fills to 3600+. As long as the burst disks in the valves are rated to the proper pressure, there is no problem. All 300 bar offers is a few extra threads. I've never had an issue with my 200 bar valves. I prefer 200 bar because it's easier to screw the regs in and out.

You guys are finding way better deals than I was ever able to...$500 for a set of 3442psi HP100s seems like a very good price, even out of hydro.

since my local hydro facility charges $15 for a hydro, i would consider letting the seller know that ... perhaps he will split the cost of the hydro with you from $500 to $485 .... unless you are able to VIP legit by yourself, that is another cost infringement ... thoughts ... for example, if i were to purchase those tanks for $500 and i didn't staff at a facility... especially a facility that would allow me to work on cylinders that i didnt buy from them (unlikely event), it would probably cost me (here in northeast) $35 to hydro and vip each tank, than they would hit me with a "doubles break down fee" of $25 than another fee for O2 cleaning both the manifold (no matter if it is new or not) and possibly another fee to O2 clean the tanks ... so essentially over $100 extra for all of that ... plus tax most likely .... so, although $500 is actually a TERRIFIC deal for newly Hydrod, vipd, and O2 cleaned doubles, your deal is "not so much" a great deal ....

on the other hand, if you had the facility, it would cost you about $7 in chemicals and electricity (tumble) to O2 clean everything barring the chance of rust in either tank.

Thermo rates their "200 bar" manifolds to 3442psi service pressure. OMS rates their "200 bar" manifolds to 4500psi. You will have no problem with full fills with the supplied manifold.

For comparison's sake, I've been in the market for various doubles for about a year and a half now, and these are some prices I've actually paid, and what I think are good or decent deals taking into account how frequently or infrequently used doubles pop up on the used market, typically with Highland bands and current Halcyon/Salvo or Thermo type isolation manifolds:

LP80/85s: $475-500 out of hydro
LP95s: $400-450, in hydro
HP100s: $575-600 out of hydro

Also, good dubs don't hit the local markets here all that often (if you're buying online, be sure to factor in the shipping and rebuild costs, if applicable). My shop charges ~$100 for teardown, hydro, viz, O2 cleaning, manifold rebuild, and setup of doubles, so be sure to take that into account as well. Buying used at these prices still saves us many hundreds off buying new, locally. I do see slightly lower prices in high-volume area classifieds such as Florida. For me, shipping to the west coast eliminates any price advantage though.

Doggone! The person (a good friend) who just bought my LP 85's got a heck of a steal :D. They were only about 1-1/2yrs old (bought new). They were still in original hydro & up to date on vis. I let them go for $350, but I was desperate to get them sold, to buy some larger double cylinders.

Back
Top Bottom