Dealing with a free flowing stage 2 reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get it. Why is everybody insisting on an immediate ascent? Why not signal OOA to your buddy then ascend while buddy breathing with you buddy? I mean, that IS why they are there after all!

Because I like to dive alone! I don't use a Pony or have an octo. :dropmouth:
(on open water dives)

I don't get it. Why is everybody insisting on an immediate ascent? Why not signal OOA to your buddy then ascend while buddy breathing with you buddy? I mean, that IS why they are there after all!

An out of control second stage is pretty unusual at anything below 1', but if the problem does occur in deeper water and my buddy is nowhere around me and no amount of twisting and banging on it is resolving the problem, I'd likely pop my octo in and ascend as safely as I could too.

IMO, buddies are great to have around if they're there (I've had to bring up someone before via buddy breathing, and thank god I was there), but not something to depend your life upon.

I know it's drilled upon the diving community to have dive buddies nearby, but the fact of the matter, that's not often realistic.

Shut your tank valve down. When you need to take a breath, crack open the tank valve and shut it down again. Repeat as needed, switch to your back-up reg/octopus as well if the unregulated flow of gas from the malfunctioning primary reg is too much to handle.

Perform this tank valve "feathering/modulation" technique while doing a CESA (if your buddy is nowhere to be seen). . .

Shut your tank valve down. When you need to take a breath, crack open the tank valve and shut it down again. Repeat as needed, switch to your back-up reg/octopus as well if the unregulated flow of gas from the malfunctioning primary reg is too much to handle.

Perform this tank valve "feathering/modulation" technique while doing a CESA (if your buddy is nowhere to be seen). . .

C'mon now...while this may be the best overall technique, you have to think of your average diver in a panic situation. This ain't the technical forum where you'd expect everyone to perform at peak performance under duress. The pointers given here are for people who may not be able to keep the best of their wits about them, but you still want them to try and remember some basics to hope and keep them alive in stressful situations.

With your left hand, control your CESA rate via BCD/wing hose deflator . . .with your right hand reach back, feather/modulate your tank valve and take breaths as needed.

All it takes is practice (and IMHO --should be a mandatory skill taught in basic open water courses. . .)

Kev, I'm not saying you're wrong at all, but you have to consider the audience we're talking to generally in this forum.

I know you have your billy-badass (yeah, I'm the man) diver photo up as your avatar, but you have to consider how the bulk of the rest of world dives. You may want something to be taught as a mandatory skill, but the fact of the matter, it's not. I agree that people should be taught how to reach around and control their tank valves, but again...it's not generally taught. In my experience European divers are the worst trained and barely have any idea that there is a tank of air strapped to their back (oi! I have European stories if you want to hear them).

Unless you're going to write a paper explaining why your approach to training methodology should be changed, it's not going to change.

In that light, we should work with "what is" and try to enlighten people about some of the simpler methods of self-extraction in situations as are presented in this post and geared for the audience expected to read it.

That is, if they find themselves with a wonky second stage at depth and they can't clear the problem in short order, they should don their octo and surface (preferably letting their buddy know in advance).

I don't mean to disrespect you, but I think you're taking a rather arrogant tone here.

Last edited:
The motivation after realizing that you can breath off a catastrophic non-fixable free-flowing 2nd stage reg, is to shut down the tank valve to stop further hemorrhaging of precious breathing gas. Crack the tank valve, breathe as needed and shut down again. (That's the enlightenment right there. . .)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4722648-post11.html

The motivation after realizing that you can breath off a catastrophic non-fixable free-flowing 2nd stage reg, is to shut down the tank valve to stop further hemorrhaging of precious breathing gas. Crack the tank valve, breathe as needed and shut down again. (That's the enlightenment right there. . .)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4722648-post11.html

Kev...

Again...I'm not disagreeing with you. Your approach is absolutely correct. But try and put yourself in someone's position who is not as technically proficient as you and has no air and is panicking.

I can tell you've never panicked before because you are very judgmental. You are the perfect person.

I've panicked in combat and I've panicked while diving. There's no shame to admit that. I wish I had you by my side when things got tough...you're the perfect soldier.

Crap! I had more after this, but it somehow didn't show up. C'est la vie.

-------------------------------

Oi! I actually just read that reply you sent to me....I've read it about four times, thinking it was some cryptic message...naw...it's just BS. I'm still trying to figure it out..I think I'll send to some friends you may be able to decipher it. Don't hate Kev,...

No matter how silly your avatar is...It's all about love here.

Last edited:
Kev...

Again...I'm not disagreeing with you. Your approach is absolutely correct. But try and put yourself in someone's position who is not as technically proficient as you and has no air and is panicking.

I can tell you've never panicked before because you are very judgmental. You are the perfect person.

I've panicked in combat and I've panicked while diving. There's no shame to admit that. I wish I had you by my side when things got tough...you're the perfect soldier.

Crap! I had more after this, but it somehow didn't show up. C'est la vie.

-------------------------------

Oi! I actually just read that reply you sent to me....I've read it about four times, thinking it was some cryptic message...naw...it's just BS. I'm still trying to figure it out..I think I'll send to some friends you may be able to decipher it. Don't hate Kev,...

No matter how silly your avatar is...It's all about love here.
No worries . . .once you overcome panic and have the proper training & practice --task & reaction memory take over as a diver (and as a soldier):lotsalove: . . .

Unfortunately, I agree that very few people are going to be able to reach behind them and manipulate the valve on a single tank rig, especially in cold water. It simply isn't easy to do, unless you have practiced diligently and carefully adjusted the positioning of your tank to make it possible. I have, and I can do it, and I STILL would prefer to go on my buddy's gas and exit that way. And I have done that, twice.

But I will state vehemently that it is entirely POSSIBLE, in all circumstances, to have a buddy at hand with gas to share and the ability to share it. If you want to dive as a mob, without assigned buddies, or if you don't talk over a gas plan before the dive and your buddy hasn't got enough gas for you, or if you aren't paying enough attention to be close enough to your buddy to get to him before that tank empties (and you have a minute and a half or so!) then those are the reasons for being unable to ascend on your buddy's spare gas, and they are all preventable.

Back
Top Bottom