Death of Larry M. Johnson, 66 - Newport, Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drdaddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
"News Times", June 30, 2010 - Newport, Oregon

"Newport police responded to a diver in distress call at about 6:24 p.m. on June 26 after Larry M. Johnson Sr., 66, of Toledo did not return to the surface while diving in the bay with a family member."
"The Lincoln County Medical Examiner’s office said on Tuesday the cause of death was accidental drowning."​

I am saddened by this loss and wonder what happened at a dive site that I know so intimately. While I have been diving for years on this jetty, I do not know most of the divers by name, just by sight as we exchange greetings and information. Many of us solo here (only 30 - 40 feet at it's deepest) as we hunt for crabs, clams, and fish. I cannot picture Mr. Johnson, but I'm sure that we have met on this Yaquina Bay South Jetty.

I offer Larry Johnson's family my deepest condolences and prayers and special comfort to the family member (grandson, I have heard) who had been diving with him.

DrDaddy

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom