deco bottle placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy:
Another trick I use on IDing my correct gas switch bottle from the obvious listed above in this thread is to use a piece of waterproof medical tape attached to the backside in the second stage gas vent,,,you write your MOD here....now you have another checks-n-balance in your hands to look at----works very well in low/no vis situations!
I do something similar
I write my mix on each 2nd stage hose with duct tape wrapped just behind the reg. Never had a problem telling my mix apart and since I don't scooter I usually split my stages between right and left side. The right-rich, lean-left thing I do out of habit but the tape is my primary method of verification.

karstdvr:
You bring up some good points. To commit blasphemy and cause the Hog/DIR folks to choke,why not stuff the long hose? If you are breathing the long hose which can be done when the long hose is stuffed,then the only real argument is that I can't put it back on my own when it is deployed,which who cares because if it is deployed in an emergency then it isn't going back. This configuration was used safely for years before Hog,the only thing is that you'll get funny looks by others.

Actually when I started cave I did have my long hose stuffed in a bag/pouch which ran along side my cylinder I was able to restow it but it was a bit of arm twisting to do so. Eventually I just wrapped it and went from there. I know some cavers who still do this even an instructor or two. And you are correct, short of the s-drill if you do deploy your long hose then you are heading back to the surface

here is a pic of me wearing stages on both sides (scroll to the bottom)
http://www.genesisdiving.com/pictures.shtml

Thank you, all. You have brought up some good points that I hadn't considered and some suggestions that are worth trying. I may just go back to my old mask and see if the nagging feeling that I should be doing it different goes away. If not, then I may decide to try the left lean/right rich and see how I like it . Thanks again for all your help.

Jack

GDI:
<snip>
Fourth: Prop Wash and streamlining. When you are configured in this way streamlining is like a flat nosed 18 wheeler going down the highway in a head on wind gust. effectively about it is about the same comparison. If your cylinders are trimmed correctly then you will be equally streamlined and perhaps more so having the cylinders on both sides. The cylinders should be rigged so that they are tucked under the arm pits with the valves by the collar bone. the length of the cylinder should come directly along the body's axis, your torso, hip and thighs. If you have the correct length of cord/strap on the bottom hook the cylinder when near empty should not raise up thus increasing your drag. Mounting the cylinders one on each side puts the diver in a more evenly balanced profile. Bacause the cylinders are tucked up under your armpits and along your body's axis you've minized any increase in lateral drag (shoulder to shoulder) Your vertical drag (chest to back) does not change as you still have the doubles on your back as always.<snip>
No . . . (click Public Profile View for Kevrumbo and refer to photo):
I ride the Scooter with my right hand & arm, with my right side Sagittal Body Plane streamlined and just presenting above relative to the slipstream of the Scooter: guess what would be in the propwash turbulence if attached under my right armpit as you suggest? Also, aside from the Long Hose issue, I have easy unfettered access to my rightside Drysuit Thigh Storage Pocket and those items that I may frequently use during a dive (Wetnotes, Spool, Scooter Leash etc.).

Sorry, bilateral stage/deco bottle placement doesn't work for me and wasn't the way I was trained. . .

Kevrumbo:
No . . . (click Public Profile View for Kevrumbo and refer to photo):
I ride the Scooter with my right hand & arm, with my right side Sagittal Body Plane streamlined and just presenting above relative to the slipstream of the Scooter: guess what would be in the propwash turbulence if attached under my right armpit as you suggest? Also, aside from the Long Hose issue, I have easy unfettered access to my rightside Drysuit Thigh Storage Pocket and those items that I may frequently use during a dive (Wetnotes, Spool, Scooter Leash etc.).

Sorry, bilateral stage/deco bottle placement doesn't work for me and wasn't the way I was trained. . .

Silly question,I know you were trained to do it one particular way,and have a feeling it is DIR,but have you tried it the other way? I do dive typically with a deco/stage on the left now,but there was a time that most generally did,and it worked well,even for the reasons you mentioned. I drive on the right side of the road,but sometimes I leave the country and drive on the left,and do just fine. I'm knocking what is working for you,that is great,but there is more than one way to do it and these methods have been around for a long time.

two 40's on one side "should" be easy to manipulate. I honestly only find it starts to be a pain with more than 2two 80's, then I start to hip mount the extras.

As for everything getting messy on the d rings, in Nov we'll have something very simple to show you.

As someone else said, having tried it both ways (with 40s), I like it better with both on the left because it leaves one arm completely free to move about without making me feel like I´m tilting to one side.

The best suggestion is to try both and decide what works for you, then dive that way, it´s not a fashion show...

grazie42:
The best suggestion is to try both and decide what works for you, then dive that way, it´s not a fashion show...

I agree 100%. I typically dive with both on the left side,but there are times when spreading the tanks between both sides is optimal ie cave conservation,decoing/swimming in tight cave,needing to manipulate both hands easily due to surveying etc.

I am not a fan of tank that are attached to a doody ring (D-ring on crotch strap) or hip ring and are racooned tailed (sticking straight up since they are positively bouyant) unless the person is in OW. I see this being done frequently in caves,and the person has no control of the stage,and it beats the **** out of the caves.

cerich:
two 40's on one side "should" be easy to manipulate. I honestly only find it starts to be a pain with more than 2two 80's, then I start to hip mount the extras.

As for everything getting messy on the d rings, in Nov we'll have something very simple to show you.

Any chance for a sneak preview or is this a DEMA release item?

karstdvr:
Any chance for a sneak preview or is this a DEMA release item?
DEMA release, it is a simple solution that has no additional failure points or adds any cluster.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom