Deco Chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jean eve

Reaction score
Does anyone on board know how is a deco chamber are built?What are the main things needed?
or
Does anyone have the link of:
How to make a deco chamber?
Thanks

This sounds scarry.................If the diver doesn't die from DCS, we will get him in the Deco chamber, nice man..........

I believe you can find those plans at www.doomsday.com

Click on the button just under "Build your own thermonuclear device"

theskull

Making a chamber is not all that difficult ... if you are a boilermaker. A chamber is a large pressure vessel and is demanding of proper materials and workmanship.

It is usually not viable to build just one, it is cheaper to buy a chamber.

Remember, to be useful you will also need support equipment and trained people to operate the chamber.

Originally posted by theskullI believe you can find those plans at www.doomsday.com
Click on the button just under "Build your own thermonuclear device"

Thought I'd get a good link but it's only a JOKE!!!! :hmmm:

Hope I can get more information.
Thanks.

Jean eve,

You are not going to find any plans for building a recompression chamber, the market for these items is very small and the customers using them for diving operations must have chambers that meet specific codes for the industry authority they work under (OSHA, HSE, etc.)

Chambers are not that difficult to build, if you gain some experience working with them it would be a fairly simple task.

If your interested in a chamber for your location as Pipedope said your going to need a crew to operate and maintain it as well...

If it was your intent to build or purchase a chamber a simple double lock AL 200 cubic foot chamber outfitted can be purchased for between $25,000 and $35,000 depending on condition.

example double lock:

http://www.baytechrentals.com/Catalog/Chamber1.pdf

and a monoplace chamber:

For Sale:
Monoplace
Hyperbaric
Chamber

Built for the US Navy and remanufactured with all new everything by Divemex Ltd.

This has 32" x 78" shell 1/2" thick.
The unit is in totally mint condition.

Located in Maryland.
Email for photos or to arrange inspection.

N Felton waterfront1@comcast.net

another option you might consider is government surplus recompression chambers...

I think what everyone is telling you is, BAD IDEA. Maybe you should reference the thread from a couple of weeks ago about the guy that built his own bomb, errr, chamber. Here is the article referenced in that thread:

http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/2004/02/01/news/gauteng/njhb01.asp

Note the 2 dead people and this quote, "The remains were taken away in plastic bags. It was horrific. It was like scraping leaves together in your garden and putting them in plastic bags."

Joe

TDunbar:

Actually the navy does have one, they used it successfully last year in the Pacific to transport a stricken diver.

The Nautilus systems are very nice but very expensive, well outside the $25,000 to $35,000 price range I listed earlier.

I built one out of a 55 gal whiskey barrel, garden hose, double-level pressure cooker, old surgical tubing, one of those bullet proof glass panes from a convenience store, and a pack of Lucky Strikes. All I need now is a hydro-thermal powered vacuum cleaner and I think I've got the whole DCS risk licked.

Long live the mighty DIYer, don't take this naysayer crap literally man. You can overcome all logistics to making your diving safer. I used to buy into that keep close track of time/depth/gas etc and practice slow ascents that included deep stops if I ventured below 60 fsw, but those days are in the past. I dive as deep and long as I want, when it's time to surface I just fill my bc and head up, if that's not fast enough I add gas to the ole drysuit. Last time I was able to exit the water completely and land myself and the double 130s four steps up the swim ladder and one easy stride from the deck.

Yep, having your own recompression chamber is awesome! I wish I'd put the window in a position that allowed me to see the TV though, 8(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom