deco mix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm sure that this has been covered before but I would like to see some opinions on this subject.
If the object of using higher oxygen deco gasses is to get us out of the water faster without getting bent then why would 32% and 80% be considered "stroke mix" by some when the dive planning software I use (GAP & VPlanner) gives a definite time advantage with the above mixes on dives requiring deeper stops.

wedivebc:
I'm sure that this has been covered before but I would like to see some opinions on this subject.
If the object of using higher oxygen deco gasses is to get us out of the water faster without getting bent then why would 32% and 80% be considered "stroke mix" by some when the dive planning software I use (GAP & VPlanner) gives a definite time advantage with the above mixes on dives requiring deeper stops.

Yes, it has been covered, and covered, and covered. The information and reasoning, both pro and con are already here and at other places easily found. I suggest you need to do more reading, then make up your own mind if they work for you or not.

It ends up as personal ( or team) choice. There's arguments for almost every gas mix. In my early days I'd have _only_ used 50 or 100% , now as long as it wasn't too deep I'd be more amenable to change.
For a lot of 'mid-range' deep dives ( I think ) a combination of 30% and 70% is actually fastest, whether or not it is best is debatable. In theory at least 100% gives the cleanest decompression - though it is not always available in sufficient pressure to be usable - hence the use of 80% in order to actually do a dive rather than pontificate over it.
I feel there is a lot to be said for using 2 stages of 50% for 60-70m stuff, the time increase over 50/100 is negligible, you are now fully redundant, and it doesn't matter which stage you actually use - ie it takes our the potential for muddling stages up. - one of my acquaintances managed to do a 70m dive and complete his deco ( solo) by switching to his 80% at 30m ( and stay for a few minutes to sort out something) and ending with his 40% at 9m - he did say something about 'bells'
The big problem with 50/100 as I see it, is that it then commits you to a true buddy pairing, as if the 50% fails for some reason, you are effectively screwed, and are dependant on a buddy to sort you out ( unless you really enjoy cold deco) In the real world, may of us choose to either 'same ocean' buddy dive or solo, which effectively rules this out as a combination.
Either way, there is a lot to be said for always using the same gas mixtures, and therefore always switching at the same depth ( I'm a simple soul, I like simplicity) preferably everyone in the team using the same mixes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom