Deco Planner from GUE doesn't have RGBM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you John. Maybe I should start a thread on this. I will do a search first to see if its been done before?

Perhaps there is more active discussion on DECO STOP forum.

Thank you John. Maybe I should start a thread on this. I will do a search first to see if its been done before?

Perhaps there is more active discussion on DECO STOP forum.
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I was asking one of the DAN staff about computers and algorithms, and while they agree there's a lot of "good enough" around, they also suggested that MOST of the models are based on the lab, not on real world trials, and that any model which was based on real world trials would probably be a better bet than randomly trusting a proprietary and theoretical unproven one. FWIW.

also decoplanner hasn't been updated in a million years...
Sound like the software is stable. That's nice.
It makes sense, the last time I checked, the Buhlmann and VPM-B algorithms it uses haven't been updated for decades.

As far as I know, NAUI tec still uses RGBM. I only know of 2 computers that actually use an un-modified RGBM model though (Atomic Cobalt and the HS Explorer).

My understanding of the model is that it was designed for a very specific purpose, and that was to enable Navy divers to do two dives to 200 feet, and be able to fly out in 12 hours. The purpose of the dives was to recover a lost nuclear warhead and be able get outta Dodge ASAP. Weinke was working at Los Alamos Labs at the time it was developed.

Like most military based things in the dive world, it was adopted by the the recreational community and used in a way it was never intended to be used. To mixed results apparently.

-Chris

As far as I know, NAUI tec still uses RGBM. I only know of 2 computers that actually use an un-modified RGBM model though (Atomic Cobalt and the HS Explorer).

There was an aftermarket version for the now discontinued Liquivision Xeo which claimed to be a full implementation.

Deco planner is the specified GUE planner. It defaults to gf 20/80 buhlman (or however it is spelled) iirc. Teams may choose to vary from that.

Sound like the software is stable. That's nice.
It makes sense, the last time I checked, the Buhlmann and VPM-B algorithms it uses haven't been updated for decades.
Stable lol

Thar be bugs and instability in decoplanner.

It's because RGBM is not man-tested and so has no true physiological basis, and thus, based on imperical studies, is an unfounded strategy that proponents assert is valid based on uncontrolled, selction-biased samples.

Do yourself a favor and stick to the accepted algorithms for the dives you undertake. ZHL-16C, with gradient factors that you believe add true conservatism, for anything in the 300ft or so range, on your own for whatever else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom