Deep Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I was one of the last deep air divers. I have been diving deep air for 6 years while trying to keep up with the mixed gas guys. I have about 30 dives below 150' and everything was alright until I encountered a problem at depth that quickly snowballed and damn near drowned until I got shallower and my head got clear to fix the problem. I always practiced drills, looked over and maintained equipment, and read many books along with older instructors. So I thought I could handle any problem at depth, but narcosis proved me wrong. So now I am finally taking trimix to help alleviate narcosis and get proper training.

I don't know about you guys in the Pacific, but here in the Great Lakes region a 18/45 mix costs $135 for db hp 100s and runs 150-175 for db LP 95-105s

Well in OZ twin 12.2l - 18/40 $210,5.7l - 50 Nx $25, 5.7l - 80 Nx $51 so a little over $300 AUD a dive
In Vanuatu if you can get it or even Truk its more like $1000 a dive.

I wouldn't say half, more like most. Not all places give you a rebate on the unused portion as well. Anyway half of $1000 a dive isnt a cheap dive, too rich for me?

That would drive many here up the wall. About 3 years ago we had a helium "crisis" that sent divers up a wall or stopped diving because the price increased from $135 a fill to around $200+ for average tec tanks. Many started to seriously look at rebreathers as our tec community just about dropped. Then after some political bs the price is now hovering around $150ish depending on size + rebate with what is left over in the tank. Many here have their compressors and mixing station at home to cut off costs, but helium in a "kilo" bottle is around $250. But also I am told that trimix in warmer waters can cut the amount of helium unlike here in the cold fresh water where much more helium is needed.

Maybe I don't understand the diving in Australia. Do you guys not own your own tanks? Do you have to travel via airplane every time you want to dive?

I can't recall a tech dive I've done where I surfaced with anything less than 1/3 of my gas remaining, typically more like half remaining.

In Philippines it is US$0.07 per Litre. Therefore the He bill for a twin set of 18/35 is 2 x 11 x 200 x 0.07 x 0.35 = US$107.80. There is another ~US$50.00 for the dive + O2(deco) as well. Some operator will not let you(team) dive unguided and guess who is paying for the guide's He bill?

BTW, I can't drive from HK to Philippines or anywhere for diving.

Last edited:
Looking at the Truk Lagoon Dive Center website (Truk Stop Hotel Dive-Ops) for 2016:
Helium is: $0.202 /liter. O2: $0.036 /liter.

So for one tech/deco 18/45 Trimix dive to the Oite Destroyer at 60m for 45 to 50 minutes; on Open Circuit twinset & one stage plus 50% & 100% O2 deco tanks (all 11L AL80's) would be a grand total of $726.97, for just the breathing gases. On 20/20 "Economy Tropical Trimix" with 50% & 100% O2 deco, the total cost is a "less expensive" $384.22. Deep air with 50% & 100% O2 deco looks like "only $130".

(New policy looks like the clients have to now cover the Dive Guides' gas costs in Helium & Oxygen, if they want full bottom time tour with the Guide along with requisite deco time.)

Last edited:
Man my O2 only costs $15 for a LP 45 overfilled to 3200, and $25 for 50/50. There was something similar in Cozumel for 2 tech dives with 18/30 mix with 36% trox and 100% O2 for $895 while diving the caves inland was only $450-550 depending on gas selection.

It may be a supply issue? The cost to ship compressed gases must be a PINTA to transport.

Maybe I don't understand the diving in Australia. Do you guys not own your own tanks? Do you have to travel via airplane every time you want to dive?

I can't recall a tech dive I've done where I surfaced with anything less than 1/3 of my gas remaining, typically more like half remaining.

No we own tanks usually but depending on the dive shop whether they pay for gas as used or see it as an opportunity to rip you off, a fill is a empty fill regardless of actual cylinder content.

No we own tanks usually but depending on the dive shop whether they pay for gas as used or see it as an opportunity to rip you off, a fill is a empty fill regardless of actual cylinder content.
So if you show up to the shop with your tanks half full of 18/45 looking to get topped off with more 18/45 they charge you the same amount as if they were completely empty? That's bananas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom