Deep breathing at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffMandell

Reaction score
I've been diving a couple of years now and I still can't figure out the answer to this question:
When I dive above approximately 50 feet, my breathing is easy and, while I do breath deeper and slower than I do on land, I don't have any desire to fill my lungs to their maximum capacity.
But, when I dive deeper than that, my brain starts to DEMAND that I fill my lungs to their max (or something close to it). It's not even something I can control; It's like a force has taken over my breathing.
I have NO problem drawing air from my reg, which is a good one and just had its annual maintenance. It's that I gotta have more volume of air down there.
Other divers tell me this doesn't happen to them. It's annoying because it uses up too much air. So, Whassup with this?
Thanks.

JeffMandell:
But, when I dive deeper than that, my brain starts to DEMAND that I fill my lungs to their max (or something close to it).
The deeper you dive, the more your body has to work against the higher ambient pressure to expand your chest and draw a breath. The air you're breathing is also denser (more molecules for the same volume). The natural tendency is to breathe normally. Trouble is, what you perceive as "normal" is most likely shallower than a normal breath at the surface, or even at 50'. Between the extra work of breathing as well as the shallower breaths, it doesn't take long for the CO2 to build up, which is what's triggering your brain to tell you "Breathe!" Most people perceive what you are feeling as "air hunger." For some, they start taking faster, shallower breaths, which is actually counter-productive. Consciously take consistantly deeper breaths and the CO2 level will drop and the air hunger should go away. Hope this helps a little at least (or someone with more expertise will jump in and give you better info). Also - make sure you are not skip breathing or pausing too long between breaths.

Your lungs become compressed at depth and your body is probably trying to compensate for the lesser space.......when I am at depth<below 50'> I tend to breath a little faster so my body can get the oxygen it needs...

I have trained myself to breath using relaxed diaphramic action. My breathing is fairly consistant throughout the dive regardless of depth. I usually need to detune my reg 2 nd stage as I feel I am getting more than enough gas. One of my dive partners thought I slowed my breathing down even more the deeper I went. (I don't know) Now it seems like I just breath the same way always

GDI has it.

If you're a chest breather (and lots of people are) then you might want to work on fixing that. Conventional BCs in particular are notorious for compressing the chest... which doesn't help. Also, the increased gas density plus your particular reg's configuration (some have a slightly higher WOB than others on exhale in particular) can play into this.

You want to be breathing from your diaphram, not your chest.

First let me clear up some things,

1: if you were to hold your breath your lungs would be compressed, as you are breathing air at *ambiant* pressure the pressure inside your chest is the same as that outside. Therefore your lungs are not compressed.

2:The air is denser at depth (twice as dence at 30ft than on the surface) but at 50ft this shouldnt even begin to worry you (unless you are very in tune with your body you wouldnt even notice)

So onto some reasons why:

Is your suit too tight? even a slightly over tight suit on the surface may make your chest feel constricted at depth

How good are your regs? do they have 'dial-a-breath' or venturi systems? are they adjusted correctly? (if you'd like some advice on how to use them properly drop me a line)

Are you uncomfortable in the water? if you havnt been diving long the fact that you are deepish can have huge phsycological effects on all aspects of your body, add slight narcosis and away you go.

Is your bouyancy correct? finning and fighting to stay off the bottom is a large workload, ask your buddy how you sit in the water, if you are 45 degrees or even upright this may be a bad sign.

How to fix it, well get to where you notice its a problem, dump all your bouyancy and kneel firmly on the bottom. Relax. Try breathing from your aas, or adjusting the controls on your reg.. Play about, see what works.

Mike

i agree with the others on C02, i think that those who 'feel' they need to breath more are CO2 retainers. meaning theres a lack of exhale part.

i was like that before then i was able to trace it to having asthma. eversince i am able to suppress my asthma, i don't have those problems anymore with the feeling to breathe more. Or maybe you have asthme but haven't been diagnose yet .

:eek:)

Wreckie:
Try breathing from your aas,

What's an aas?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
What's an aas?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm guessing it's "alternate air source" ???

But then again, I thought the U-812 was a Van Halen song...

JeffMandell:
I've been diving a couple of years now and I still can't figure out the answer to this question:
When I dive above approximately 50 feet, my breathing is easy and, while I do breath deeper and slower than I do on land, I don't have any desire to fill my lungs to their maximum capacity.
But, when I dive deeper than that, my brain starts to DEMAND that I fill my lungs to their max (or something close to it). It's not even something I can control; It's like a force has taken over my breathing.
I have NO problem drawing air from my reg, which is a good one and just had its annual maintenance. It's that I gotta have more volume of air down there.
Other divers tell me this doesn't happen to them. It's annoying because it uses up too much air. So, Whassup with this?
Thanks.

Nar-co-sis.

You're getting high.

Ever notice at a bar after you have slugged down a few in a row, on an empty stomach, the deep breathing gets going there as well?

You will get used to it, eventually, and then your breathing will return to normal, at depth.

ppN2s start to have an effect on divers as low as 2.7 ATAs ppN2. But you will eventually get used to it, if you dive enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom