Deep Dive Referral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zen1300

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've finished all my dives for PADI AOW except the Deep. I'm looking for an instructor and location to refer to in order to complete that dive. The shop I took the AOW with waits to schedule a group of people that need to go out to Lake Travis or other site. I'm hoping to either tag along with another class in an area that would have a lake suitable for the Deep Dive requirement.

I'm currently in the DFW area and can do a day trip out to about 4 hours away. I can even arrange a weekday dive (probably easier for me than a weekend).

My only diving experience has been in Clear Springs Scuba Park, and I'm still very much the new diver.

Want to complete the AOW course and then identify mentors that I can dive with and learn more from.

Any assistance is appreciated.

I'd strongly recommend Mansfield dam in Austin for a first deep dive, you can swim up to the dam wall and drop with a nice visual reference

Congrats on getting out and doing some diving. I'm glad to hear you have stayed with it. I have done no pleasure diving up here and only one trip to Houston with my brother this year. I still haven't forgotten I said I would work with you.

There are some good people at International. I also recommend getting on Robert's boat if you make it out to Travis. Lots of fun.

Tom

Check with Lake Travis Scuba I bet they can help you out.

Closer to you and .. if I might add , a lake that is as good and often much better to dive then Lake Travis is Lake Broken Bow ,OK.
Broken Bow Scuba is a full shop and is equipped better then many in the DFW Metroplex if you ask me.
Call James and see .................
Besides...You never know when you'll run into me up there down in the trees :)

P.S. When I say closer I mean to say that it takes far less time... less stress
( I-35 DFW to Austin is not always rapid transit if you know what I mean. )

How far away is Amistad from you? I hear its better than lake travis. It might be worth checking out, or even biting the bullet and heading down to the coast. You could sign up for a flower gardens trip; no problem getting a deep dive in there!

Lake Amistad would be a long drive from DFW.

I second talking with Robert at Lake Travis Scuba. He is a PADI instructor and may be willing to do it himself. I would do the Shaker Plant given the current lake levels. Quick bounce down to the rock piles and then swim along the wall at 590'msl. Looking into the future, if we don't get a LOT of rain, the top of the Shaker Plant will be at 30-40' deep by late July. Makes it an easy dive on an interesting site with a deep option.

Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

Congrats on getting out and doing some diving. I'm glad to hear you have stayed with it. I have done no pleasure diving up here and only one trip to Houston with my brother this year. I still haven't forgotten I said I would work with you.

There are some good people at International. I also recommend getting on Robert's boat if you make it out to Travis. Lots of fun.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Any time you can and we can work it out, I'd be up for it. Just need the notice to work out the logistics.

I'm definitely wanting to get out more often this year. I've been considering going out with other classes as a tag along buddy since there are usually others (spouses, friends, etc) that tag along with the class. I'm close enough to CSSP to even do a half day and come home.

Ok, I've reached out to both International and Lake Travis Scuba. Still looking into Broken Bow and Armisted, might be too far.

International says it can be done at CSSP. I'm not sure about that since CSSP says the deepest point is 63'. I guess technically that is below 60' and in the range for Deep Diver. With the lack of rain, it would be a stretch and not likely be a real deep dive experience.

Still waiting to hear back from Lake Travis Scuba.

Thanks all for your help!

Back
Top Bottom