For Sale Deep Sea Supply DSS Spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enduser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone happen to have a stainless DSS Deep Sea Supply spool they want to sell me? I'd prefer the 100ft capacity.

I've had good luck with WTB threads here in the past so thought I'd ask before I shelling out the $$ for new.

Thanks!

I'd imagine there's a reason you're looking for a DSS Spools, but DGX has SS spools as well. They're priced at about 1/2 of what DSS wants... and they include the line.

Why are most Finger spools 3 inches in diameter? (7.5 cm = 2.95") Simple, in the early days when divers were making their own gear 3" diameter delrin bar stock was pretty easy to find. That lead 3" (or close to it) to become a defacto standard for finger spools.

3" is fine, but is it optimum?

Consider any spool. The last few turns of thread, or fishing line or kite string around the maximum OD of the spool are far longer than the last few turns at the core of the spool. Circumference = diameter * pi. Ever a new roll of paper towels seems to last pretty well for the first half and then the 2nd "half" disappears in a day or two?

Recognizing this phenomena I designed the DSS spools to have a larger OD, 3.3" vs 3.0 and a larger ID. The larger OD allows for more capacity and the larger center hole reduces the "reach in distance" (first finger to thumb) and provides room for big hands and cold water gloves.

The with each turn being longer on a 3.3" spool vs a 3.0 DSS spools can be narrower than a 3.0 and do not have to filled to the point the clip holes are covered to reach their rated capacity.

Tobin

My delrin spool died under a buddies tank tip. I don't "need" the DSS spool, but have always liked the quality and responsiveness of DSS. It matches my needs cold water gloves, length, and matches the rest of my gear (medium dss ss, lcd30, weight plates, dss smb).

I suppose that is a reason I should buy it new instead. Happy Father's day to me. :)

Seems my procrastination and laziness has paid off I bought one via the forums.

The one coming has a spool and the SMB anyone want to buy a DSS SMB I won't need both. The one I currently have has a name written on it (not mine, previous owner).

Thanks, SB.

Seems my procrastination and laziness has paid off I bought one via the forums.

The one coming has a spool and the SMB anyone want to buy a DSS SMB I won't need both. The one I currently have has a name written on it (not mine, previous owner).

Thanks, SB.

If you purchased the DSS SMB and stainless spool recently offered by a diver in Pasadena you have a DSS SMB, the spool however is not a DSS spool. DSS Stainless Spools have 12 holes in each flange.

Tobin

If you purchased the DSS SMB and stainless spool recently offered by a diver in Pasadena you have a DSS SMB, the spool however is not a DSS spool. DSS Stainless Spools have 12 holes in each flange.

Tobin
Well damn. Lol. Oh well I will be back around for a DSS spool at some point. Thanks Tobin.

Back
Top Bottom