DEEP/SHALLOW MOLASSES REEF, report, wednesday, 12/14/16, pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
on a weather roll in south florida: warm sunny skies(87F in MIA), light winds, seas <1FT. electing to stay with the best reef tract in the upper keys(consistent/reliable marine life, pelagics and viz), a double @ molasses reef: #1 deep buoy M28 followed by newly replaced shallow buoy M1. particulate/dusty blue water 40-60FT, light to moderate current, water temp 78/79F @ 20-90FT. deep reef was a bit quiet, the shallow, not so much! 2nd dive: simply fantastic: multiple reef/nurse sharks, turtles, dense schools of horseye jacks, chubs, cuda, tropical, snappers/grunts and numerous groupers. pics from TIMG,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• m1.png
    m1.png
    560.4 KB · Views: 112
  • m2.png
    m2.png
    688.4 KB · Views: 110
  • m3.png
    m3.png
    284.2 KB · Views: 98
  • m4.png
    m4.png
    690.1 KB · Views: 92
  • m5.png
    m5.png
    496.4 KB · Views: 101
  • m6.png
    m6.png
    527.1 KB · Views: 99
  • m7.png
    m7.png
    773.4 KB · Views: 106
  • m8.png
    m8.png
    940.2 KB · Views: 93
  • m9.png
    m9.png
    809.9 KB · Views: 113
  • m10.png
    m10.png
    978.3 KB · Views: 96
additional pics from today,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• m11.png
    m11.png
    840.3 KB · Views: 91
  • m12.png
    m12.png
    815.2 KB · Views: 84
  • m13.png
    m13.png
    869.6 KB · Views: 81
  • m14.png
    m14.png
    659.5 KB · Views: 86
  • m15.png
    m15.png
    721.9 KB · Views: 83
  • m16.png
    m16.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
  • m17.png
    m17.png
    942.9 KB · Views: 83
  • m18.png
    m18.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • m19.png
    m19.png
    996.4 KB · Views: 93
  • m20.png
    m20.png
    720.5 KB · Views: 92
being unable to dive during the week!....i thank you for great photos so i get to enjoy your weekday diving...

sigh.....much better than the 30 degree weather in Atlanta today. Probably my favorite dive on MO in the right conditions.

Looks like Tim has a little shark whisperer thing going on with the sharks posing for him!

sigh.....much better than the 30 degree weather in Atlanta today. Probably my favorite dive on MO in the right conditions.

Looks like Tim has a little shark whisperer thing going on with the sharks posing for him!
Thank you scubaguy655. Patience is the key with the sharks. No chasing, just waiting in the right place. The most difficult part is not flashing the strobes too soon - you need to let the animal get as close as they want to get.

Excellent stuff, the shark shots especially are nice, are they always that cooperative?

Thanks for sharing as always!
Thank you Skeptic14. As for the sharks, it is a matter of observing their movements, intersecting their (anticipated) path, and waiting for them to approach. No chasing. Watch and wait. Also helps when we are using Steel HP 100 tanks and have about 100+ minutes on the dive.

sigh.....much better than the 30 degree weather in Atlanta today. !

I'm sighing too. Having moved from SE Florida to Atlanta earlier this year, mornings like this make me wonder what I've done to myself.

TMG: really like the reef shark shots. Looks like he made several passes to get those shots at various angles, or do have a super fast shutter and got all of the pictures on one pass?

I'm sighing too. Having moved from SE Florida to Atlanta earlier this year, mornings like this make me wonder what I've done to myself.

TMG: really like the reef shark shots. Looks like he made several passes to get those shots at various angles, or do have a super fast shutter and got all of the pictures on one pass?

Thank you sportxlh. Each time the shark passes I get 4 or 5 shots within strobe distance. I have the strobes set a 1/2 power (left/main) and 1/4 power (right/fill), so the recycle time is very fast (Ikelite 160 strobes).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom