Deep south LOB reccos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moorish8idol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted this as a reply in another post but thought best to check in more broadly. What are your personal recommendations for a liveaboard doing the deep south Maldives? I would like to go next February or March 2020. I'm looking for small dive groups, experience in this remote area (obviously I'm going for the big sharks and other animals) and ultimate respect for the marine environment (for example: no shark feeding or touching or harassing, no tolerance for divers that do the same etc). Thanks!

Hi there,

I've searched our deep south liveaboards and I'd recommend the Eco Blue liveaboard. They have a number of great customer reviews, including for being environmentally aware.

You can also see other vessels that offer deep south safaris here. They all have reviews that you can read.

I've also just written an article about diving the different southern atolls, which you might find helpful to get an overview of each atoll:

Diving the Maldives Southern Atolls ~ DIVE.in

Thanks,

Kathryn

I posted this as a reply in another post but thought best to check in more broadly. What are your personal recommendations for a liveaboard doing the deep south Maldives? I would like to go next February or March 2020. I'm looking for small dive groups, experience in this remote area (obviously I'm going for the big sharks and other animals) and ultimate respect for the marine environment (for example: no shark feeding or touching or harassing, no tolerance for divers that do the same etc). Thanks!

Sad to say the best dives I had for Maldives South are actually shark feeding. Reasons are the sharks actually swim close toward you instead of seeing it at a distance. In addition depth for the shark feeding is maximum 15m and there is no current, giving you maximum time of 60min in the water with the sharks.

Most channel / drift diving at Maldives south are hooked at around 28-30m with current so it be a challenge to see the big animals and not get into deco.

For diving in the blue, we saw hammerhead, silvertip and thresher shark at 35m in Fuvamulah South. We did the deepest dives here but got the best reward of wild encounters in the form of the above and the bonus three oceanic manta ray at 20m.

I respect your decision that there be no shark feeding but I am afraid you will have to skip dives as almost all LOB for Maldives south has the main highlight which is the Tiger Shark feeding at Fuvamulah harbor.

Sad to say the best dives I had for Maldives South are actually shark feeding. Reasons are the sharks actually swim close toward you instead of seeing it at a distance. In addition depth for the shark feeding is maximum 15m and there is no current, giving you maximum time of 60min in the water with the sharks.

Most channel / drift diving at Maldives south are hooked at around 28-30m with current so it be a challenge to see the big animals and not get into deco.

For diving in the blue, we saw hammerhead, silvertip and thresher shark at 35m in Fuvamulah South. We did the deepest dives here but got the best reward of wild encounters in the form of the above and the bonus three oceanic manta ray at 20m.

I respect your decision that there be no shark feeding but I am afraid you will have to skip dives as almost all LOB for Maldives south has the main highlight which is the Tiger Shark feeding at Fuvamulah harbor.
Thanks for letting me know. I will have to ask the question specifically before booking any LOB as I feel quite strongly about the topic and do not wish to support any operator participating in such an activity. I have done dives around the world without any feeding or baiting that involved encounters with sharks (yes often deep and often strong current) so I am quite disappointed to hear this but am glad you have let me know this is common.

Thanks for letting me know. I will have to ask the question specifically before booking any LOB as I feel quite strongly about the topic and do not wish to support any operator participating in such an activity. I have done dives around the world without any feeding or baiting that involved encounters with sharks (yes often deep and often strong current) so I am quite disappointed to hear this but am glad you have let me know this is common.

There is still chances of encounters with the tiger and spinner sharks in the blue but that is more like a lottery as most time they are very deep. Shark Feeding is one way to 100% see them close at the shallow. I am aware people are strongly against this practice but this is a big way to promote tourism and incentive the locals that sharks are worth more alive than dead. Example Tiger Beach in Bahamas, Bullshark at Fuji etc.

We've checked with our operators and I can confirm these boats visit the deep south and don't do ANY shark feeding on their cruises:

Leo Liveaboard

Virgo Liveaboard

Blue Voyager

The entire Emperor Fleet also doesn't do shark feeding. Hopefully that will help with trip planning.

Many thanks,

Kathryn

I was aboard Carpe Vita a couple of years back and there was no shark feeding, though with one qualifier. There was a night dive at a resort pier and the rocks were scented which brought in a tremendous number of nurse sharks and rays.

None of the Carpe Diem boats (Diem, Vita and Novo) are supposed to do shark feeding dives. I’ve been south with Diam and Novo.

I have also done the Alimatha pier dive with nurse sharks with Vita and Novo and did not see them feed or bait the sharks in any way.

BUT I have seen their DMs take plastic bottles on dives for use in calling sharks. I suppose it can be considered a form acoustic shark baiting, which may be equally repugnant to you.

None of the Carpe Diem boats (Diem, Vita and Novo) are supposed to do shark feeding dives. I’ve been south with Diam and Novo.

I have also done the Alimatha pier dive with nurse sharks with Vita and Novo and did not see them feed or bait the sharks in any way.

BUT I have seen their DMs take plastic bottles on dives for use in calling sharks. I suppose it can be considered a form acoustic shark baiting, which may be equally repugnant to you.

Exactly and that is what I referred to wuth regard to scenting.

Back
Top Bottom