Deep Stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturation:
Oy, didn't think of it as a free ascent. Yes, I'm not sure many recreational divers can hold a depth. Most 'deep' dives often have descent or anchor lines the can grab on to.

Maybe that's a problem.

NAUI is using the "1 minute at half depth, 3 minute safety stop" guideline, and
after reading a bit on it, i decided to implement it. it's worked great so far.

also a thought (no??): in a free ascent, the person is going
to have a heck of a lot more trouble holding at 15 feet
than at depth, in my experience. someone who can't do
a free ascent and control their depth really should think twice
before doing any diving until they can, anyway.

MechDiver:
This is not a deep stop per se, but simply a pause in your ascent rate. There is another thread here about it, and its not really a new thing. If you ascend slowly, you will accomplish the same thing and not have to worry about average depth.

That being said, making the stop for only a minute will teach you good buoyancy control without increasing your ongassing to any degree.

MD

During ascent your body still on-gases in some "compartments", ascending too slow will simply allow your body to unnessarily on-gas further.

A standard ascent slows the rate at which gas enters the "compartments" vs. going even slower (since you are ascending normally) until you reach your deep-stop. The deep stop prevents the compartments that are off-gasing from forming large bubbles - which take even more time to off-gas than the sum of it's molecules taken individually.

zboss:
The deep stop prevents the compartments that are off-gasing from forming large bubbles - which take even more time to off-gas than the sum of it's molecules taken individually.

A deep stop lets the helium offgas. A 1/2 depth rec stop controls your ascent and assists nitrogen offgassing. A 50 ft stop on a 100 ft dive is not a "deep stop".
YMMV

MD

Saturation:
Oy, didn't think of it as a free ascent. Yes, I'm not sure many recreational divers can hold a depth. Most 'deep' dives often have descent or anchor lines the can grab on to.

Curt Bowen:
I thought about this also but then remembered we are dealing with new divers who have hard time putting their fins on the right foot. :)

KISS - Keep it simple stupid

Easy! We're not all complete morons! :06:

while diving over the recreational limit (below 70 ft) i use the rule of halves. For instance if i dive to 100 feet i make one minute safety stops at 50, 25, 12, etc..etc.. to off let of gas. Has anyone else used this method

busraider1:
while diving over the recreational limit (below 70 ft)

The standard recreational limit is 130 ft, not 70.

IMO that many stops is not necessary from that depth, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

MD

The new Mares RGBM computers are ideal for the recreational diver, since they incorporate a 1 min deep stop into all dives that are close to, or exceed, the NDL. While it is not exactly a full deep stop implementaion of RGBM that a tech diver would use it is certainly an improvement over most recreational computers. The computer calculates an appropriate deep stop depth based on your profile.

For example, on a 15 min dive to 30m (ie 2 mins within NDL limits) the computer will recommend a 1 min stop at 14m, and a 3 min safety stop (3-5m). Of course, you have the option of extending these stops, or adding some stops between the 14m stop and the safety stop if you wish.

Not sure anyone would know this...
Let's say a manufacterer decided to upgrade their computers to include deep stops. Would older computers be able to have the new decompression model uploaded somehow?

Are there any examples fo such changes/upgrades in the past?

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom