Deepest ever emergency swimming ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats the freediving record? Kinda the same thing :D:D

I don't think so. There are quite a few differences.

Free divers working on records are fully prepared for what they have to do. They train carefully for years. They use special techniques in addition to just plain thousands of experience dives to prolong bottom time. They can hold their breath.

A CESA is an emergency procedure. With the exception of a submarine escape, it is almost always an unexpected action on the part of the person doing it. While the person who does it may have been trained in the procedure, they do not train for that procedure incessantly for years before attempting it. The person doing the CESA cannot hold his or her breath.

Ummm, I was trying to make a funny.. Hence the big smilies but I do appreciate the indepth responce..

Sorry I missed it. I guess I am unusually dense today (although some will no doubt argue that one).

I had to do an emergency ascent from 140 on the Speigel Grove and was fortunate enough not to end up in the chamber. Someone closed off my isolation manifold and shut one of my tanks off because the threading was European and reversed. When you tell the crew on a boat NOT to touch your gear and they do, it really can get you in trouble.

Lesson learned........ Even though you check your gear before you get in and gear up, CHECK IT AGAIN if you take your eyes off of it for even a minute. I learned my lesson.

I had to do an emergency ascent from 140 on the Speigel Grove and was fortunate enough not to end up in the chamber. Someone closed off my isolation manifold and shut one of my tanks off because the threading was European and reversed. When you tell the crew on a boat NOT to touch your gear and they do, it really can get you in trouble.

Lesson learned........ Even though you check your gear before you get in and gear up, CHECK IT AGAIN if you take your eyes off of it for even a minute. I learned my lesson.

I'm afraid that I am a little confused here. If your diving doubles, don't you do a valve drill? I have been in the diving industry for a long time now and the valves that are in eurpoe are right hand threads just like ours are, not reversed. I'm glad to hear that you made it out alive! Coming from 140 means that you must have been in the generator room or engine room. I've been there before and I can't imagine doing an emergency ascent while navigating my way though those hatches and ladderways just to get to open water. Where was your buddy or were you solo? Did you have any bottles staged that helped you in your ascent?

I did one from 70-75 feet and I'd hate to it from much deeper (unless I had a breath off my reg first).

Hans Trukke from the USS Tang, 1944 in the Formosa Strait from 180 feet. His lung didn't work (and was later pulled from him by another crewman). He did a CESA and made it to the surface. After the war, the navy studied how he had survived and decided to teach it to submariners as a viable means of escape.

Regards,
<TED>

>>Sub crews are trained for basically a CESA during emergency evac from a downed sub.
Crew will go into an air lock, get pressurized to depth, pop the hatch and rocket to the surface.
They are trained to sound like Santa on the way up HO HO HO HO HO.
Because there only at depth for seconds to minutes DCS is not really an issue. However they go up like rockets, AGE's are the biggest killer.
I don't know if there are any Navel records of this actually being done in open water.<<

CESA during the final checkout dives for in my OW class in 1976 was 60'. The entire class (about 12 of us I think) did it without problems. My most recent "practice" CESA was with my then-10 year old son from about 30' during his OW class.

I periodically practice from about that depth when solo, just because.

CESA remains a viable, although very unattractive last option that I'll take over drowning any day of the week :wink:

Best wishes.

I guess im of the opinion, who cares how deep of a CESA someone else can do.....My concern is what depth im gonna be able to do it in a OOA situation. Its great someone else can do it from 100+ feet, if me or my buddies cant do it when needed. Some records are made NOT to be broken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom