Info Deeply Safe Labs: A website for dive computer testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What they originally did instead was tell people to "sit every 6th day out". I
What they actually said (from the 1994 RDP Report) was:
"From the test results we further conclude that performing multiple dives over multiple​
days with the RDP is acceptable, and can be done with no greater risk than is encountered in many​
common practices of recreational divers. Even so, based on this evidence and the suggestions of​
other experts, we recomme d limiting the number of full-time dives per day to 3 or at most 4, and​
suggest including a day with a reduced level of diving ( or none) every 2 or 3 days."​

My understanding is they just use M0 all the way down as the model was not designed for decompression diving in the first place.
I thought about that possibility, but that would make the first deco stop occur at the max depth which is rather useless.

I thought about that possibility, but that would make the first deco stop occur at the max depth which is rather useless.

No, I meant what you said: the slope is parallel to the ambient pressure line. It's `Pamb + M0`.

The slope is not given in Baker's paper either. A case can be made for assuming 1.0, as that seems to be the asymptotic value in other sets.

My understanding is they just use M0 all the way down as the model was not designed for decompression diving in the first place.
I don't know about DSAT, Buhlmann delta M varies from 1.54 at 8 min to 1.15 at 54.3 min.

@scubadada - the higher M-values of DSAT make it more liberal than Buhlmann (GF 100/100) when faster tissues are controlling -- i.e., a clean squarish profile. Conversely, DSAT is more conservative when slower tissues are controlling -- i.e., repetitive dives. This much I'm sure about.

The bit that has me confused is that a GFhigh of 95 causes the NDL times to match fairly well. On a clean NDL dive, a faster tissue should be controlling, and the GF will make Buhlmann even more conservative (and DSAT even more liberal by comparison). However, DSAT is *already* more liberal when faster tissues are controlling. My speculation is that there is some interplay with the different slopes (assuming DSAT is using a slope of 1.0 or a 1:1 increase of its M-values for each foot of depth), but OTOH, NDL shouldn't be impacted by anything other then the surface M-values. So yeah, someone smarter than me needs to explain that as well. :)

I'm not sure DSAT M-values given in e.g. Powell are what the DSAT computers are using: they may be the ones used for creating PADI tables but tables come with built-in safety margin: you seldom spend all your planned bottom time at planned max depth.

Buhlmann's numbers were apparently adjusted from "tables" B set to "computers" C set that is more conservative from the 27 min TC on.

I'm not sure DSAT M-values given in e.g. Powell are what the DSAT computers are using: they may be the ones used for creating PADI tables but tables come with built-in safety margin: you seldom spend all your planned bottom time at planned max depth.

Buhlmann's numbers were apparently adjusted from "tables" B set to "computers" C set that is more conservative from the 27 min TC on.
Yes. C was made more conservative than B in compartments 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 14.

Back
Top Bottom