Delaware river

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UntamedSpirit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone dived around the delaware river/bay? there are a few places I've found bottles on the banks, and was wondering if I may have more luck around slack high tide. I've heard of spots near an old pier, and am hoping to talk by dive buddy and brother (to keep watch topside) into a kayak trip. We have little experience in current, so were thinking of practicing in a creek where we go tubing a lot or maybe the brandywine, where its a little more shielded/safe.

Sounds like fun, If the water is deeper then 10 feet and low vis I use a shot line for ascents and descents and maybe a wreck line tied off to the shot while exploring.. I use that method in the South River when I'm exploring new areas..

A few years ago I participated in an underwater survey of the harbour area of New Castle. Depths 20 to 50 feet. Current was never zero, viz was always zero, and I ofen came up with an oil slick on my mask. By feeling arround, we were able to locate and map some old piers and I found a pile of bricks that seemed to interst one of the archeologists. They were hoping for bottles or pots, but I never saw any come up.

We had a boat that could come for us if we drifted down current and a people on board to watch bubbles and through lines. No way would I dive ther without good support.

The saem gorup has done surveys around Lewis DE and is curretnly working in the Potomac.

Check out Institute of Maritime History | reposcere - consevare - educare

Thanks for the heads up, I think I might go look for another place to explore. Interesting link :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom