Delta Airlines and Shark Fin soup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt we have to wait a hundred years before the shark supply runs out. The change in population is already obvious to anybody who's been diving in Asia any length of time. Just to play devil's advocate, if I were a shark's fin soup lover I would argue that its consumption is no more frivolous or injurious than the eight cylinder SUVs and 6000 square foot Mcmansions that are staples of the American diet.

I don't mind if we totally trash our planet, I won't be around for the consequences. Now, my daughter on the other hand, she is going to have to clean up our mess and by that time it will be too late.

I doubt we have to wait a hundred years before the shark supply runs out. The change in population is already obvious to anybody who's been diving in Asia any length of time. Just to play devil's advocate, if I were a shark's fin soup lover, I would argue that its consumption is no more frivolous or injurious than the eight cylinder SUVs and 6000 square foot Mcmansions that are staples of the American diet.

Hey I need my 8 Cyl mega gas hog SUV to get me around town . . . how else will I show my bling? and my 600 sqft Mansion is the smallest of my houses . . . I must have several houses . . . all around the country . . .

vladimir:
Just guessing that the average Singaporean (dive lover88) has a little more insight into Chinese customs than the average New Jersey-ite. Now that I am in Hong Kong, and for the 8 years I lived in Singapore, I politely refused to eat it. My refusal often led to constructive discussion on the topic.
Its more common than an average westerner(no offense meant here) know. Most chinese wedding will have sharkfin soup on its menu (or at least here in SG). I do refuse to have have sharkfin soup.

So there is alot of consumers just in the SEA area alone if u take in consideration the number of bowls of shark fin sold a day in a resturant and times that by the total number of chinese restuarant plus the canned shark fins in the supermarket. And thats not even adding the fins which are sold in the traditional chinese shops where u can see the fins in its shape.

I hear they can kill you in China for not preparing the shark fin soup right, but shark fin soup.......I don't know. It does not sound to kosher.

Just guessing that the average Singaporean (dive lover88) has a little more insight into Chinese customs than the average New Jersey-ite. Now that I am in Hong Kong, and for the 8 years I lived in Singapore, I politely refused to eat it. My refusal often led to constructive discussion on the topic.

You must have misunderstood me. All I am saying is that it is most likely that the menu was picked by whatever dignitaries attended, not the airline.

If Air China got a non stop flight to Texas, then the mayor of the closest town or governor or whoever would set up the cerimonial meal, not Air China...

"If they'd eat the whole damn shark do you suppose people would quit complaining? I doubt it. These protectionist freaks will never be satisfied until we all just subsist on GRASS"

It's attitudes like yours that is the reason those same sharks won't be around much longer for everyone else to enjoy. We have overfished many species to the brink of collapse. Many acres of coral reef are disappearing each year. But hey, it doesn't affect you personally so who cares??

I have to admit that I was pretty ignorant of the shark issue until I started diving. Now, I don't eat it.

However, this is how dumb I am as a Chinese American. My parents threw an east coast Chinese wedding banquet for my wife and me (after we had our actual wedding/reception on the west coast). I didn't know what was on the menu at the Chinese banquet. When they served the shark fin soup, my non-Chinese friend sitting next to me asked me what it was. I promptly told him it was hot 'n sour soup, and the stringy stuff was noodles. I had no idea what it was. My brother and my wife looked in horror at me like I was an idiot. Doh! :rofl3:

I gotta be honest though, I was pretty ignorant on issues like overfishing and saving our reefs until I started diving. Now, I'll try to do my part to help.

Come on people, we are not going to win this war against sharks by letting them swim around unmolested and procreate to their hearts content. Sure, you say "we kill a lot more of then than they of us" but have you seen the MEDIA COVERAGE they are getting?

</troll>

I was trying to figure out how to get a refund on my non-refundable Delta tickets to Bonaire but it does make some sense that the Chinese put on the menu and Delta probably had nothing to do with it.

Still sucks.

I do like the idea of giant panda burgers.

Even if Delta had nothing to with it, they still have to the power to "no thank you", or even make a statement distancing themselves from it.

If one of the many destinations that Delta serves decides to honor them with a socially unacceptable practice or custom, I'm pretty sure Delta would say "Thanks, but let's do something else."

In this case Delta is either ignorant to the problem of over exploiting shark populations, or they thought it was such an insignificant issue they could absorb any repercussions due to the minority of people who care about the issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom