DEMA BOD- Ty Sawyer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I see that Ty has left Scuba Diver Magazine and also is no longer on the DEMA BOD.

Why wouldn't DEMA let it's members and the dive industry know that a BOD member had stepped down????

I assume there will be an special election bt shouldn't it have been announced right away?

Once again transarency is missing from OUR association

Well done...not

I remember when Ty left Sport Diver: He let everyone on Facebook know about it. I also find it amazing that they fail to communicate time after time.

But then: I have pretty much lost hope that DEMA will ever be relevant. They enable some to make money off of them and refuse to work with others when offered the same thing FOR FREE.

I remember when Ty left Sport Diver: He let everyone on Facebook know about it. I also find it amazing that they fail to communicate time after time.

But then: I have pretty much lost hope that DEMA will ever be relevant. They enable some to make money off of them and refuse to work with others when offered the same thing FOR FREE.

Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that the culture that surrounds DEMA, a non profit association, is unable to even reconcile why anybody would make such an offer when there is so much money to be made by rubbing each others back instead.

It's a little like the standard comment from DEMa when you complain... "If you don't like it offer to get involved" while ignoring that indeed you did on NUMEROUS occasions only to NEVER have your offer taken up on.

Ty was the one who said in an editorial that he liked computers because it enabled him to not think underwater. I always though that was a GREAT message to send to new divers. I really wish I could go to DEMA this year. It out to be a lot of fun. Our CEO (Tom Leaird) by the way is taking Al's seat. Tom will bring a new voice to the association and I know he wants to see more focus on training and on local diving.

Hey there...just saw these posts.

1) TO Jim Lapenta: I think you took my words out of context. My editorial stated that having a computer freed me up to experience the reason we all learn to dive — marinelife, wrecks, exploring, photography, etc. To not think about the tables. This is a good thing. Diver's focus on the experience, they stay divers. And the piece was aimed at people who are already divers and recommending they have this essential tool, which boosts business to the local retailer. Again, a good thing. I like the comment about DEMA being fun. It should be.

2) DEMA BOD: As a point of clarity, I didn't step down. I had to give up my seat because I left the company I was working for to pursue other ventures in media. I think the problems at the heart of our industry revolve around unnecessary rabble rousing that takes the focus off what we need to do to grow, evolve and remain relevant. We all participate in a beautiful, adventurous sport. We all became and remained and decided to pursue this as a livelihood as divers for some magical reason. We're lucky we get to do what we love. What fuels us. Gets us excited. It's way better than wearing a tie, or traveling just to sit by a pool in the sun. Recently, we look to other sports, like surfing, to see what makes it tick for them. The biggest difference. The people that participate at every level of that sport have fun. I recently was involved in an editorial summit and when the editor was asked what TransWorld Surf excelled at, his answer was, "We're really good at having fun." That business doesn't complain, whine about how someone isn't doing something they think they should. A right way or a wrong way. It's a sport they unitedly love from 8 to 80 and they're ALL ADVOCATES & ACOLYTES, even in competition. One thing I learned on the DEMA Board, and seeing the industry from that angle, is that diving has lost that core culture of being acolytes and advocates. We're a disunited bunch of grumblers and dismantling from within. I asked myself over and over again, why anyone would want to associate with such a negative world? I learned to dive in 1978 because everyone who dived then had a blast, they lived the max out of life, and loved being in the water. I still feel that way — and it does exist in pockets today — and that's why I got involved in Dive Media. To keep divers diving. To inspire them and motivate them to explore the world as a divers. That's why I continue in this sport. Because I love everything about it and feel privileged and cool and exceptional and have a swagger as a diver, whether I'm diving with friends in a quarry or Cayman. And, I can tell you this with certainty: Tom Ingram and DEMA staff, the BOD and that team is substantially focused on growth and retention. On being advocates for diving.

Thanks for coming here and posting Ty,

To be clear, my reason for posting this was not directed at you. It was lamenting that once again DEMA fails to communicate. For a marketing association that is unacceptable. OK, you didn't step down, they kicked you out because you no longer were eligible to be on the board. Does that sound better? Stepped down isn't a slur on you, why take it as such?

What you refer to as "rabble rousing" is in fact the actions of people deeply invested and committed to our industry that are frustrated with the direction and actions/lack of actions of DEMA. That you dismiss it as such and consider them the problem is telling for certain. Is it truly that easy to dismiss all the 300 plus signers of the petition last year or the hundreds that attended the annual meeting so easily?

We are all for keeping divers diving and inspiring and motivating them. To even suggest otherwise is grossly mistaken and misguided while exposing a attitude that is delusional. Then again the DEMA BOD that you sat on couldn't even sit facing the members at the meeting last year...should I be surprised that is your attitude?

To sum it up, what you may consider "rabble rousing" is more a indication of our collective disgust with the parasitic nature and ineffectiveness of DEMA.

You'll notice that lately the "rabble" have been pretty quiet, some may take that as a indication that in fact it was just "rabble", others may conclude it was because the facts are in and the relevance of DEMA is now completely clear. Lets see what the industry consensus is in 3 weeks after the show.

DEMA already concluded that most of the industry doesn't value DEMA per say, thus they had to jack the entrance fee for non members to EXACTLY the annual DEMA dues. So if more than one person representing a company decides to attend the show it ONLY makes fiscal sense to join. Well done!! A EXCELLENT example of "fake it 'till you make it"...except this time it's "fake it 'till it breaks". DEMA can claim that DEMA membership is still strong when we all know the truth.

I agree with Chris. DEMA is shooting itself in the foot. It has been. Not unlike the two major political parties. I am disgusted with both. DEMA has insured that unless things change I will not attend if I have to pay to get in. Until the focus is taken off of resorts and exotic destinations and put back on equipment and comprehensive training I'll stick with local and regional shows like Scubafest in Columbus. Cheaper, and lots of discussion about local diving and local divers. Ya know- the ones who actually support the local shops and manufacturers.

And your explanation re the not thinking comment is all well and good but a new diver I know did not read it that way. He assumed that if he strapped on a computer he didn't need to worry about nitrogen loading, keep track of surface intervals, pay attention to how he felt, what he drank, etc. In short he thought the comp would keep him safe. I had to set him straight on that. The computer for a new diver is back up for the brain- not a replacement. It was and still is an irresponsible comment to make. You've been diving since 78. great. But based on that comment I'd feel safer with one of my OW students for a buddy.

I recently was involved in an editorial summit and when the editor was asked what TransWorld Surf excelled at, his answer was, "We're really good at having fun."
Ty, I have to say that this guy stole my line. :D Indeed, ScubaBoard is all about FUN, FUN, FUN.

Most of the people come here for FUN, FUN, FUN.

Just like the Surf Industry, most Scuba Divers (and ScubaBoardians) never see the bickering and fighting amongst the industry insiders. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and there are even movies about the crap surrounding both the surf and the skate board industry. Competition creates that friction and that friction results in a burning need to out do the competition. That's a win/win for both the enthusiast as well as the casual diver.

But in reality, DEMA has issues. I was even asked to run for the DEMA BOD and I accepted the invitation. Today I was told that no one wanted to run for the Media spot and that Willie was a desperation choice. How does that make me feel? I guess I wasn't good enough. Personally, I think William Cline is a most EXCELLENT choice. I love his energy, his candor and his ability to think outside the box.

I have offered to teach a course for DEMA on how the industry can use Social Media to drive sales. I have offered this for several years. I am told that somehow there is a conflict of interest, but apparently, that same conflict of interest does not apply to a competitor of mine. He is not only asked to do this, but is compensated for it with a hotel, flights and free booth space. Now, I bear him no ill will, and consider him a friend... but all I can see as a difference between him and I is that I believe that DEMA doesn't like me very much. Perhaps I'm too successful with what I do.

Why would DEMA not want me to share my secrets about the internet? Why would they not want me to do it for free? Hey, he has acceptable Alexa scores for his site, but they are no where near mine. It's been suggested by DEMA management that I buy space to do this. Why? It's not an info-mercial that these people need. They want to know HOW to approach social media from a very practical, hands on perspective. No one is giving them that at this point. DEMA is failing it's membership by not reaching out and asking DIFFERENT presenters to present. Oh Snap! Someone IS going to give them that. SDI/TDI has asked me to give this presentation as they feel it has lots of merit. Please feel free to attend if success with Social Media interests you.

Fortunately, my business does not depend on DEMA because I refuse to kiss ass. That doesn't mean that I am unwilling to lend a hand either. If they need help (like manning the DEMA pool for an AARP convention here in Orlando), they have a ready and willing volunteer. Should they desire any input on how to mount an effective internet campaign, I would be glad to help. It's not like I don't know what I am doing, having surpassed all Scuba Media in reaching more people than anyone else.

We all approach critics differently. I love mine. In fact, I only pick people who don't think like me to be a part of the "Advisor" team here on ScubaBoard. If they aren't willing to disagree with me publicly and stand up for their beliefs, then I can't trust them to do what is right for ScubaBoard. No, I don't silence my critics: I put them to work making ScubaBoard better. :D

Good to hear you're the presenter for the SDI/TDI seminar. The social media presentations I've sat through have been by "someone else", it'll be good to hear a different perspective.

it'll be good to hear a different perspective.
That's the real point, isn't it? If you hear from the same presenter time after time, you are bound to hear the same things with the same emphases.

If you're not already a part of ScubaBoard's Business to Business forum, and are in the Scuba Industry, you need to join. Go to Group Memberships and sign up for where you think you fit in.

Back
Top Bottom