Dema responds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This year was my first DEMA and quite likely will not do another for a long time. Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun working the HOG/Edge booth with Chris and getting the chance to see some new people and a few new items. What I got most out of the show personally was the contacts with manufacturers and distributors of products. What pleasantly surprised me was the number of those who possibly years ago would not have looked at me. An independent instructor with an on line store. Now not only are they looking but actively seeking my business. I have been an Edge/HOG dealer since March of this year. Getting other items to offer to my students and customers has been problematic. I have some good relationships with other on line retailers who will sell me items my students and customers want but do not want to go on line for or do not want to purchase from multiple sources. I make a little on those items but the main idea behind aquiring these items this way is serving my customers the best I can. I am trying to give what I consider to be the same level of service they would get in an actual shop. And from what I hear much of the time it's better than that what they can get locally.

It is amazing what that kind of attitude and level of service can mean to a distributor or manufacturer. I had one Chinese wet suit mfg offer to make suits for me with no minimum order! Shipping could be a bear but if I did have a need for say 50 or 100 shorty wetsuits for my girl scout programs they would make the sizes I need and ship them to me direct. With my own logo if I wanted. No 1000 or 2000 suit order with 500 in each size. If I wanted 20 suits in 4 sizes they were more than willing to do it.

There are mfg's of unique or niche products desperate to get those items into new areas. Today I got in samples of hard cases similar to Pelican (who will not sell to me) from Vault Case. No one in my area has them. No one in my area really carries Pelican cases at a reasonable price. Looking at these I see very little difference in quality of materials and construction. The major difference- Vault will sell to me and the price is in the neighborhood of 40% less than a comparable case from someone else. The selection is limited and that's ok, easier for me to deal with. So in a few days they will be on my website.

I also saw some of the old ways in effect with some items where they wanted a minimum order of 200 pieces of an item I doubt any shop would be able to sell at one time or in a short enough time to make it worth it to bring in that kind of quantity. But if they would drop the minimum order I bet I could move 10 or 20 of those items in fairly short order. The industry is changing and at the same time there are elements that are resisting that change. And from my vantage point as a small business owner to their own detriment.

DEMA is part of the problem and they could be a big part of the solution if they chose to be. They do not. I saw no DEMA board members going around and visiting all the booths asking how things were going. Not one. I had the DEMA board president a couple weeks before the show tell another board member to call me and have me look at the Divecaching program stuff. To "tell that Lapenta guy to see what we are doing for local diving". Yet I never saw him at the show if he was there. I wanted to see him and thank him for considering my views on how little DEMA was doing for local diving and taking a baby step to correct that.

I wanted to ask him why after looking at the stuff and then emailing him some other questions in a very nice way why he never responded. I wanted to know what else they were going to do and what were they going to do for those areas that have a high number of independent instructors like me. I wanted to know when they were going to start asking for input from all members on new directions and new projects. Not just the same old boys who have big numbers of votes and deep pockets. If I thought my voice would make a difference and by becoming a DEMA member I could have a vote and some input, I would. But after seeing the lack of communication between the board and the smaller companies I know that would only be a pipe dream.

I got to see first hand the disinterest and uncaring attitude for the smaller guys that Tom Ingram has. Without going into details it is true that he doesn't have a clue. The Ft Lauderdale show in 2013 that was reported in DiveNewswire is a prime example. Plans were made, some mfg's invited (guess which ones), some agencies (again guess), and I would suspect a few others. What was remarkable though was that the Dive Newswire story was how many of the members found out about it. The job of the director I though was to keep the membership informed of developments, changes, policies, etc. To communicate those items personally while they were going on. Not inform the members and general public at the same time. Thus denying those not in the clique a chance to have input and participate. But that's what went down.

And Mr Ingram, your dismissive and disrespectful attiude to a member that brought that to your attention was disgusting. You really do not have a clue. Smirking and laughing in their face is beyond rude.

As long as DEMA keeps going in this direction I see the possibility of consumer friendly dive show drawing more than the DEMA show does. My next show is in Columbus Ohio. My 4th year. It has grown each year and I get more business from it each year. And at least 3 or 4 times during those 2 days just about every member of the show committee comes by every booth. To ask how we think the show is going, do we need anything, and how can they make it better for us next year.

To the DEMA BOD and Mr Ingram, maybe you should come by this year and see how to run a show and how to treat every vendor there. Not just the biggest ones.

What does DEMA do for diving consumers? Who benefits from DEMA?

What does DEMA do for diving consumers?
They made this really cool video call Be A Diver <snicker snicker>

Who benefits from DEMA?
umm DEMA

Well, it was my most profitable DEMA show ever. I did more business there than I have ever done before at a DEMA show. With that said, (and I have already signed up for next year) I will continue to do the big consumer shows like BTS and Birmingham, England. I will not go back to OWU as that was obviously not my customer. It may be that the rust belt is so depressed that people only come to the show to dream about diving, but we didn't get a single positive response from that show. As well as I did at DEMA, I still do better at BTS for less money. I will do Long Beach this year, and did and will do again Colorado dive show.

If DEMAshow went away forever, it wouldn't hurt my feelings any, but the one year (in 22) we skipped hurt us badly. Damn, I'm tired of Orlando.

DEMAs website has the 2013 show in the North Hall in Orlando. Who said Ft. Lauderdale?

I will not go back to OWU as that was obviously not my customer. It may be that the rust belt is so depressed that people only come to the show to dream about diving, but we didn't get a single positive response from that show.

That's strange. I wonder why? I guess it could be the economy. I know plenty of divers up here in the Midwest/Great Lakes, and many of us travel to dive, with the Keys being very popular. For those of us who are wreck divers, and there are lots of us, the Keys and NC are the big draws. Even with the economy, I find it very odd that you got absolutely no business from the show. That's too bad.

Well, it was my most profitable DEMA show ever. I did more business there than I have ever done before at a DEMA show. With that said, (and I have already signed up for next year) I will continue to do the big consumer shows like BTS and Birmingham, England. I will not go back to OWU as that was obviously not my customer. It may be that the rust belt is so depressed that people only come to the show to dream about diving, but we didn't get a single positive response from that show. As well as I did at DEMA, I still do better at BTS for less money. I will do Long Beach this year, and did and will do again Colorado dive show.

If DEMAshow went away forever, it wouldn't hurt my feelings any, but the one year (in 22) we skipped hurt us badly. Damn, I'm tired of Orlando.

DEMAs website has the 2013 show in the North Hall in Orlando. Who said Ft. Lauderdale?

Frank, In 2013 Ft Lauderdale is having some big city wide event and DEMA threw in with them on it. It is not the DEMA show but DEMA is a part of it. DiveNewswire

That's strange. I wonder why? I guess it could be the economy. I know plenty of divers up here in the Midwest/Great Lakes, and many of us travel to dive, with the Keys being very popular. For those of us who are wreck divers, and there are lots of us, the Keys and NC are the big draws. Even with the economy, I find it very odd that you got absolutely no business from the show. That's too bad.

I don't know either. We went specifically to attract Great Lakes wreck divers who might want to dive wrecks in the winter too, and came away with nothing. Now, to be fair, it was a new venue for us, and new venues don't always produce, but you usually get folks on the boat who say "hey, I saw you at ..... Show". Not in this case.

Since you brought it up...here is a letter I sent last week to Jeff Nadler in his capacity on the DEMA BOD. I don't have a reply yet, he promised to get back to me this week.

Dear Jeff,

I really appreciate you taking the time to call yesterday anddiscuss my concerns. I contemplated our conversation quite a bit last nightand this morning.

Unfortunately I have to report I’m not very swayed.

Regarding the new consumer show in Fort Lauderdale I would liketo report that I do indeed “Get It”. There is no question that many of thecompanies in our industry are trying very hard to expand outside the limiteddiving industry as part of their business plan. Manufactures like Tusa,Aqualung and more are VERY aggressively marketing their products intowatersports and swim, training agencies are marketing non diving programs (firstaid, swim etc.) to a wider audience and of course resorts want to market theirwares to a high end clientele such as the Fort Lauderdale market offers. Forthem an inclusive watersports show in the Fort Lauderdale market is a nobrainer….

However, in review of the DEMA Association Bylaws article 3, I see the following (bold is mine)

“ARTICLE III. PURPOSES AND OBJECTIVES.
The purposes and objectives of the Association shall be:
A. To promote the advancement of the diving industry, topromote and encourage the
growth of diving activities, and to enhance the growthand public enjoyment of the
sport of diving.
B. To establish continuing business education programs to aidindustry members, their
officers and employees.
C. To facilitate the exchange of information among industrymembers, through experts,
internet-based programming, manuals and conferences, and othermedia on such
subjects as quality control, general industry statistics,governmental regulations,
product standards and/or certification, standardized methods ofkeeping books and
records, and related topics of industry interest.
D. To support the diving industry with communicationservices, media relations and
resources.
E. To support the diving industry in monitoring and communicatingon legislation that
impacts diving and to represent the industry before theexecutive, legislative and
judicial branches of government throughout the United States andin foreign
jurisdictions.
F. To support the diving industry in the monitoring andprotection of the environment
through education and activities.”

Having DEMA run a show that is “A celebration of diving,adventure sports, water sports and outdoor lifestyles” is NOT cross marketing,it is outside the mandate of the association. It’s pretty simple. Theassociation is there to promote diving, the fiduciary duty of the DEMA Boardmembers while serving in their capacity of board members is to the DIVINGINDUSTRY, not their employers. If they can’t accept that they shouldn’t run oraccept the seat. I know to some that may come across as incredibly naïve on mypart, however if we don’t demand it of the DEMA Board we as an industry wouldbe MUCH better off without a DEMA.

I also can not for the life of me shake the feeling thatsomething about the show just plan stinks. The fact that the ONLY unelectedDEMA BOD member has been so involved in the Fort Lauderdale tourism and runningconsumer shows in FT Lauderdale in the past is a HUGE red flag for me.

You made a comment along the lines that the existing consumershows are not good enough. To me that makes no sense. If the DEMA board feelsthe existing shows are not quite doing a good enough job, reach out and assistthem! Setting up a show to compete with them is plain wrong. Encourage them toexpand their cross marketing efforts. That falls within your mandate PERFECTLY.

A show in Fort Lauderdale will benefit the companies Iidentified above, a half dozen dive retailers and reach 15-30,000 consumers.DEMA getting actively involved in assisting and helping grow the existingconsumer shows would benefit hundreds of dealers and reach hundreds ofthousands consumers. At a lower risk.

Speaking of risk, if the show bombs the association will have nochoice but to do an assessment on the members, in effect forcing all thenon-benefiting retailers and other members to subsidize the fortunate few, thatis an inherent moral hazard that DEMA should reject, not build!

ARTICLE VII. DUES AND ASSESSMENTS.
Section 1. Initiation Fee.
There shall be such initiation fee for Membership in theAssociation as shall be set by the
Board of Directors from time-to-time.
Section 2. Membership Dues And Weighted Voting Rights.
A schedule of dues and weighted voting rights shall be set foreach Class A Division
Member and each class of Associate, Allied and SustainingMembers as determined by
the Board from time-to-time.
Section 3. Honorary Members.
Honorary Members are exempt from dues and assessments and haveno voting rights.
Section 4. Assessments.
Assessments may be levied against Class A and Class B Members ofthe Association by a
two-thirds vote of the total voting power of the Association atany meeting of the Regular
Members called for that purpose or by a two-thirds vote of thetotal voting power of the
Association by letter ballot. Each Member shall pay a pro rataportion of the assessment
calculated based on the annual dues paid by such Member and, inno event, shall the total
of such assessments exceed $500 per Member, per year.

I also have concerns that DEMA is exposing itself to potentiallitigation regarding the following statement in the press release onDivenewswire.com

“DEMA is working directly with manufacturers so they can helpcreate sales-friendly event policies that encourage retailers from around theworld and their customers to exhibit and attend.”

It reeks of collusion and anti-trade practices. I certainlyunderstand the intent but feel it is over the bounds for the association toadvocate this.

Regarding the resale of products, I am certain you will see nonsouth Florida retailers attending with an attitude of “not my market so I cango nuts”, I would.

In closing, I STRONGLY object to DEMA going forward with this,in fact I intend to communicate this as far and wide as possible to enlistsupport in fighting this.

Yours in diving,

Chris Richardson

Divin'Hossier: The 3 shows you named are the largest and longest running consumer shows. There are other consumer shoes on the rise.

Starting with the top three shows you listed would be a good beginning.

Chris Richardson @ EDGE/HOG has made some good suggestions on how DEMA could become more involved and reach more people. Whatever happens, it is certainly time for a change.

The Florida Keys has voted with their feet. The tourism board which heavily subsidizes dive shops who have a booth at the Florida Keys Pavilion did not sign up for a space at DEMA 2012. Let me repeat. Florida Keys, arguably the largest diving venue in the USA, will not exhibit at DEMA 2012. Instead, they are concentrating harder and putting more emphasis on the Travel and Adventure consumer shows. For an individual operator, those shows seem to get a lot more positive response. I have not participated yet, because I don't understand the market.

Surf Expo is actively recruiting dive travel venues because they want new blood in their shows. Those shows are for the benefit of the consumer instead of profit for the show company, so a booth at a week-long show is about 2/3rds the cost of a 4 day booth at DEMA.

DEMA is loudly proclaiming "keep calm, people, everything is fine. Those aren't the driods you are looking for!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom