Dengue fever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it was just starting when I left there the end of September.

You might try www.mauinews.com and that should give you info about the fever. I understand it comes from a mosquito and most of the people infected are around Hana, but it is also in other areas as well.

I can tell you all about the disease itself, but nothing about the disease as it relates to HI. There is no vaccination or prophylaxis you can take like there is for malaria.

Tom

[NOTE: This thread has been brought forward from the General Travel Discussions area of the board.]

Hi Scubabob,

As Tom indicated, there is no vaccine against dengue fever, or other drug prophylaxis for that matter.

The good news is that with early diagnosis & supportive treatment of this viral disease it is very, very rarely fatal. However, you may be real ill for 2-7 days, and it will take a while before you feel 100% well again.

What you need to do is avoid getting bitten by the mosquito that carries the disease. If you can avoid areas known to be active for dengue fever, by all means do so. I have provided some suggestions for the prevention of bites from dengue carrying mosquitoes at the end of this response.

As for the situation on Maui, the first cases probably occurred in June, with confrimed cases in September, and rates then climbed. Hana, in far east of the island, appears to be at the epicenter, but cases have been reported as far west as Haiku. I might add that the primary tourist areas, as well as the primary dive areas, are far from the problematic remote eastern side of Maui. No unusual precautions appear required in these areas at this time.

BTW, this island isn't the only one having an outbreak. There are also an abnormal number of cases on Oahu, Kauai & the Big Island.

But, more good news is that to the best of my knowledge there have been no deaths or even hospitalizations to date. Additionally, a massive control & eradication program has been launched, reportedly with positive results.

Hope this makes you feel a bit more comfortable about the situation.

DocVikingo

Preventing mosquito bites (Interestingly, unlike many others, the dengue carrying mosquito seems to be more active during the day):

(1) Wear long sleeves and pants, in light colors. Protective clothing such as the "Buzz Off" brand can be useful. As an extra precaution, you may treat clothing with permethrin; (2) Avoid places where mosquitoes congregate, such as dark, moist, swampy areas; (3) When making reservations, make sure the resort has screened windows. AC rooms with closed windows are ever better; (4) Keep well covered in full strength DEET; (5) Avoid scented toiletries and perfumes; (6) Upon arrival, treat your room with a bug bomb such as Shelltox or Fish. You can touch up with spray after that as needed.

Nothing like the power of the internet to bring answers and questions together.

Here is an article on the outbreak - Dengue Fever

and here is the latest article I could find Dengue Fever - Latest

Scary stuff. I would be a sitting duck out there, as if there is a misquito within 1 mile of me camping it will make it's appearance to partake on the fine misquito wine, known most affectionately in misquito circuits as "Vintage Syruss Sipping Wine"

Morning Joewr,

I was in the middle of responding to your last post in this thread when everything disappeared.

Here's what I had:

"Morning Joewr,

Well, I figure Hawaii doesn't need any additional loss of tourism. Dengue is a disease against which there are effective means of avoidance/control/eradication.

Best as I know, as of a few days ago the number of confirmed cases in Hawaii was 52 on Maui, 6 on Oahu & 4 on Kauai. I suspect that all or nearly all of these are residents, not tourists.

Not great news as far as Maui goes, but it wouldn't stop me from going. I'm more worried about negotiating the "Road to Hana," which I vividly recall for breath-taking views and occasionally harrowing narrow, blind curves.

Best regards.

DocVikingo"

Does that do it?

DocVikingo

Let's let folks guess what my question was from your answer. And, yep, that does it. However, if you hear more, please keep us up to date...

Joewr

Doc,
How do you treat your clothes with permethrin? BTW - I thought it was pretty definite that 100% DEET wasn't necessary - maybe 35% being just as good and probably a lot less irritating.
Terry
BTW Syruss, if the bugs get a look at your shirt, you'll be safe. :wink:

Originally posted by terrydarc
BTW Syruss, if the bugs get a look at your shirt, you'll be safe. :wink:

I wish it were that simple. I have gotten bitten so many times I have a prescription itch cream that I take when we go camping. It is not uncommon for me to come back after a weekend of camping with 50-70 bug bites and I use sprayes and the torches and the smoke rings you name it..

I am a victim of love to misquitos.

I need to deliver a message.

Syruss,

Empty your mailbox!

Joewr

Sorry for the interuption, Doc. I'll get out of here now.

Back
Top Bottom