Deploying a SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask your Instructor about the new 'Surface Marker Buoy Speciality' - its now available to Instructors on the Pro site.

Doc Harry:
I have had similar issues. Here's what I learned:

You're never going to get an SMB to fully inflate from 10m. If you try to hold onto the SMB long enough to fully inflate it at that depth, you'll be on a rocket ride to the surface. Your options are a) be satisfied with what you get, b) deploy at a deeper depth, or c) get a smaller SMB.

a) Be satisfied with what you get. You don't need an SMB fully inflated when you deploy it. Once on the surface, you can always blow more air into it.

b) Deploy the SMB from a greater depth. The expanding air will fill the SMB more.

c) Get a small 3 foot SMB for deployment from depth. Some are only 3 inches in diameter and don't require a large volume to fill. Get a separate BIG 6 footer for emergency surface deployment.

BTW, unless you pull constant tension on the line the SMB will fall over regardless of the SMB size.

Get an SMB with it's own crack bottle, much easier, and will fill it from whatever depth. http://www.sdswatersports.co.uk/Store/DII-300-6-buddy+dsmbci.html

Can somebody explain to me why you need to tie a knot and thread the line connecting the spool to the DSMB as opposed to just clipping the double-ender that is attached to the line onto the DSMB?

Also, how do you go about tying this knot and threading the line properly?

Can somebody explain to me why you need to tie a knot and thread the line connecting the spool to the DSMB as opposed to just clipping the double-ender that is attached to the line onto the DSMB?

This question must come from someone who hasn't lost as many double-enders as I have . . . They're not entirely reliable, and can be easily knocked loose from things. Line easily escapes through the gate, too. When the SMB has been secured by the loop in the end of the line, you have a positive connection that cannot come loose.

This question must come from someone who hasn't lost as many double-enders as I have . . . They're not entirely reliable, and can be easily knocked loose from things. Line easily escapes through the gate, too. When the SMB has been secured by the loop in the end of the line, you have a positive connection that cannot come loose.

So how do I thread the line and secure the knot? I've seen some Youtube footage, but it was only nominally helpful. Any good written instructions or pictures?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom