Depth and Safety Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have experienced severe pain in the area you describe while diving. It happened after I'd had a cold and thought it was completely gone but obviously it wasn't. I'm betting that it's either sinus squeeze or sinus congestion-related pain, even if you aren't aware you are congested. In my case it took quite awhile, perhaps 10 days or 2 weeks, before I was able to dive again without the pain, so just re-doing the same dive profile again won't necessarily tell you what was wrong. In my case as well, though, the pain started immediately upon descent, and in fact was worst in the first few metres of descent than any other point of the dive.

I felt like that the first time I dived throu one of those chutes and came out on the wall on Grand Cayman at 90'. I had a pressure feeling, and a roaring in my head, thought I was going to faint--- and like you, it was relieved by going up a little. Never has happened again, even at 130 feet on air. Just go deeper aware and ready to rise if need be. I bet it never happens just like that again! I go with the narcosis vote!

start rant

Why is it that divers with 50-99 dives and going to > 100 feet fail to understand such basic things as "nitrox does not allow you to go deeper than air"

end rant

Probably because they never took a NITROX course and are therefore susceptible to myths and folklore?

Back
Top Bottom