Depth Audio underwater music device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been trying for some time to find a "good" underwater audio system to pass the hours while on deco. A friend pointed me to a Kickstarter project which I backed and then got in touch with the inventor. I've been working with him on pre-production system testing. Here is an early review of the device:

The form factor is awesome and the sound quality is pretty good considering the factors involved. I've had it down to 280 feet on a dive.

Regards,

- brett

Cool! Thanks for this report.

Hey Brett,

The DiveVolk housings work pretty well for audio/video. I use them to watch movies with subtitles while on deco when cave diving.
There are some hacks to make audio louder on iPhones too. The one potential downside is everyone else gets to hear what you're listening to since it's not using headphones so it could be annoying to some.

The DiveVolk is nice in a cave where I can leave it at 20-70' clip it onto deco bottles but beyond 200' I believe it will crush / crack the iPhone screen so unfortunately not a great solution if you're taking it with you on a dive.

EDIT: I will keep an eye on that kickstarter project but I'd also be interesting in trying it to see how it compares to the DiveVolk as I am always looking for better options.

This is pretty cool. I listen to a lot of music and could definitely see this being useful on long deco dives. Easy enough to just clip off to your O2 bottle and slip on your mask at your last stop. Seems a little pricey, but I have not seen many other options on the market. Thanks for sharing!

Would other divers have to listen to your music too during their deco?
From the OP's linked blog post:

"The device works by bone conduction so you can place it anywhere near your ear and you can hear the audio. For my initial tests, I connected a bolt snap to the device via some cave line and then clipped the bolt snap to my mask strap and slipped the device under my hood next to my right ear."

Hey Brett,

The DiveVolk housings work pretty well for audio/video. I use them to watch movies with subtitles while on deco when cave diving.
There are some hacks to make audio louder on iPhones too. The one potential downside is everyone else gets to hear what you're listening to since it's not using headphones so it could be annoying to some.

The DiveVolk is nice in a cave where I can leave it at 20-70' clip it onto deco bottles but beyond 200' I believe it will crush / crack the iPhone screen so unfortunately not a great solution if you're taking it with you on a dive.

EDIT: I will keep an eye on that kickstarter project but I'd also be interesting in trying it to see how it compares to the DiveVolk as I am always looking for better options.

I have often thought about going with the DiveVolk system and can definitely see how it would work on a cave dive. Open ocean has a different set of challenges and I haven't been willing to commit to the DiveVolk route (yet). I'm hoping the Depth device works out.

- brett

Not unless they were basically "hood to hood" which I don't really want to be with the people I dive with. :)
With all due respect to Irving Berlin and Fred Astaire

Heaven, I'm in heaven
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together, diving cheek to cheek

Heaven, I'm in heaven
And the cares that hung around me through the week
Seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak
When we're out together, diving cheek to cheek

Oh, I love to climb a mountain
And to reach the highest peak
But it doesn't thrill me half as much