Depth Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
How crazy do you guys find this idea: my depth gauge got busted and I kept getting the same replies from the LDSs I went to... meaning you can't repair depth gauges (in general). Since my gauge was now considered dead, i thought i'd do a little autopsy on it. I opened it up, and sure enough, the pressure element was totally corroded through. Examining its anatomy, it made me realize how remarkably similar their internals are with regular water pressure gauges (okay, they ARE the same!). I came to 2 conclusions:

1. some gauges CAN be repaired if their only problem was a blockage of the pressure sensor. I've seen some really crusty depth gauges. People tend to forget that the sensor can be partially hidden by the console, so they don't get to rinse it out. If they took their gauges out once in a while and gave it a good soak in some cleaning solution (ie vinegar), and in some extreme cases, drill out the debris (carefully) to allow the passage of water into the sensor.

2. in cases (like mine) where the corrosion extended to the pressure element, I made the mistake of trying to graft the pressure element of a gauge into the rest of the depth gauge I had. I tested it by placing a syringe into the pressure sensor and it detected pressure changes! unfortunately when i tested it out in a (15ft) pool, it wasn't sensitive enough to detect that. So then I thought why not just use a regular water pressure gauge (rated to 80 to 100 PSI), retrofit it with a lot of silicone sealant to make it water proof, and just use that? Therefore, my next attempt will be to retrofit a regular gauge for diving.

As to knowing the depth from the reading, the gauges I got (USG gauges) have readings both in PSI and kg/cm2. since 1 kg/cm2 is for all intents and purposes almost 1 ATM, and a ten meter change in depth is about a 1 ATM change, then using the kg/cm2 gauge is like having a depth gauge in meters!

I know, I know. Why don't I just get a regular REAL depth gauge. The answer is "yes I will get a depth gauge and a computer even", but this is still more fun!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just a quick update: The thing actually worked! Took it down to the LDS to test it in their pool, and it registered nicely with 0 leaks.
Will have to wait and see how it performs at a hundred feet though.

For true DIYers only... :D

If you want to test it you could always do what I did when my Citizen watch went haywire. I got a local plumber to make up a small pressure housing from 3" iron tube with screw on end caps and a screw in nipple. I then cut a hole in each end cap and epoxied in a couple of windows made from 1/2" clear polycarbonate sheet. I put my dive computer at one end and the watch at the other, facing out so both were visible through the windows and then pressurized the tube from a water tap at the ground floor of a 24 floor building fed from the water tanks on the top floor.
This gave me a lot more than rec depths.
Once pressurized I was then able to bleed off pressure slowly and plot a calibration curve.
Depending on where you live, there may be enough pressure in the street system to let you run this test.

Home brewed depth gauge !! Pretty cool, I don't think that I could bring myself to trust it - gives me the "pet" Tiger ! "willies" - but you are right, the mechanics of an open bourdon tube depth gauge and the common pressure gauge are the same.

Ditto on the metric calibration, 1kg/cm2 = 1 atm . Pressure gauges are available in a wide range of accuracy, precision any where between .25% -- 3%, I don't know what the industry standard is for depth gauges, but would guess it would be around 1%.

You might be able to con your LDS into giving it a "dive" in their pressure pot, just for grins. The left side of my brain reasons "Ok, this should work fine". The right side, however, Screams "SAY WHAT?!!"-"YOU GONNA DIE!!"....LOL Mabe it's the PADI brainwashing.

miketsp:
For true DIYers only... :D

:lol: Yep this is DIY to "DA BONE" :D Got to love it......And test it in a DIY pressure pot ! Oh HELL YES! :lol: This thread is looking up!

Hmmm, I might just try that! :D It sure beats sticking a syringe into the open end and checking for changes.

Oh, by the way, just for comparisons sake, in my neck of the woods, a brand new depth gauge costs around $65. The one I made cost a grand total of $3 (inclusive of manometer and silicone sealant).
That was fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom