Depth Guage not registering.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Ok check this out and tell me what you think. I'm going through my OW cert course and during my confined water dives at 12 feet my depth gauge would not register. My Buddies did though. (both are on rented regs from the LDS we are getting certified through.) I told the DM about it and was told not to worry that some of them will not register and such a shallow depth. Ok I'll buy that. What else can I say right.

Then during my first open water dive we went to a depth of 30 feet. My buddies depth gauge registered our depth and again mine did not. I told the DM on this dive when we returned to the boat that it was not working, and wouldn't you know it she didn't believe me! She totally doubted me and suggested that I was looking at the wrong needle ot misread the gauge. She said that she wanted to see for herself on our next dive.

My 2nd dive never happened because I had a little anxiety attack and could not catch my breath. So I'm going back out this Sunday. Anyway I'm just looking for comments, suggestions and feedback regarding the depth gauge. I can't imagine going on another dive knowing that I have faulty equipment. I do plan on switching out my reg before Sunday.

Rental gear often has little problems such as slight air leaks.

But I'd say that's a major problem.

Inform the LDS tech and definately don't dive with that (or any broken) gauge.

Any equipment not working right wheather real or imagianed is reason to call a dive for your own safety.

Switch gear with the DM, maybe that will convince her. Definitely call the shop and speak to the tech or owner. That could cause major problems. Good luck. Dive safe.

Some places just have junky rental gear and won't do anything about it unless you insist - so insist. Sometimes I think they give the students the worst stuff, they probably figure you're with an instructor and won't be down long in a shallow area so it's not important, but that's wrong. (In my OW class they once tried to give me a reg with no depth gauge at all if you can believe that, just a pressure gauge.)

Correcting this problem is easy.

1. Leave the unit in it's holder with the hose attached.
2. Turn the air on.
3. Wipe down the outside of the entire unit with a good slick lube. WD-40, Axle grease, K-Y etc.
4. Then shove it up the butt of who ever told you that BS information.
5. Have them try to read the depth.

If it doesn't work shallow it isn't going to be accurate at depth. This is a MAJOR safety problem. (for you, not the guy with the hose up his butt)

Fight them, find another LDS and call the BBB and certification agency to complain.

Gary D.

mrjoe:
........I told the DM about it and was told not to worry that some of them will not register and such a shallow depth.......

Thats the biggest load of bull i have ever heard, if it wasnt real, I would be laughing my *** off.

Like it says, if it doesnt 'register' shallow, its gonna be inaccurate and dangerous.

Well done for raising the subject.

Gary D.:

2. Turn the air on.
3. Wipe down the outside of the entire unit with a good slick lube. WD-40, Axle grease, K-Y etc....Gary D.
LOL Thanks for the chuckle.

Gary D.:

2. Turn the air on.
3. Wipe down the outside of the entire unit with a good slick lube. WD-40, Axle grease, K-Y etc.
4. Then shove it up the butt of who ever told you that BS information.
5. Have them try to read the depth.

If it doesn't work shallow it isn't going to be accurate at depth. This is a MAJOR safety problem. (for you, not the guy with the hose up his butt)

Fight them, find another LDS and call the BBB and certification agency to complain.

Gary D.
You sir are kind, I would not lube it :D

what a character. your dm is obviously ful of $@$ i wouldnt dive with him. both he and your gauge are defective. change both immediately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom