Des Moines Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There is a slim chance I may be making a return move to Iowa in the next year or so. While in NC I have gotten addicted to diving. Are there any local dive spots in central Iowa, or where does everyone dive (great lakes?)? Any decent dive shops/clubs?

While I can't help you regarding local dive shops, one of our favorite local dive spots is the Atlantic Quarry in Atlantic, IA. We've had 25 ft. visibility at times, and the blue gill are like puppies, following divers everywhere they go. Here's a link to a mini trip report from 2008: Atlantic Quarry

Iowa Great Lakes diving is OK in West Okoboji -- especially in late spring/early summer when visibility is best. Dives can be to 80-90 feet if you are so inclined. Bottom Structure, water intake towers, fish, a few tiny wrecks. Annual clean-up dive around Memorial Day.

Also some pit diving -- Big Blue in Mason City, Rutland Quarry, Ft. Dodge gyp pits. Not all are open to the public, tho.

Iowa Marine Biology -- Dr. Karen Stiles c/o Des Moines' School District travels to dive in FLA every spring break. Usually about 100 new certified students and about 40 tired parent/chaperone/divers.

There are a few shops: Des Moines, Ames, Ia Great Lakes.

Welcome back to dim water diving!

Scotty, we are in Big Blue all the time, but hey it's only 10 min from home. We also dive a quarry in Northwood. We are in the process of compiling a list of divers form north central IA, and are looking at starting a club, we have a dive team but that is not everybody's cup of tea. The best shop I have found is Seatasea in Cedar Rapids, check them out online. Tell Ken that Don and Carrie sent ya, he will take good care of you....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom