Descending...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33ps1x once bubbled...

An add on class...Interesting. Can you imagine if you took drivers ed and they got you rolling but then you had to add on a "module" to the class to learn how to turn left and right?

Buoyancy is a key component to diving. It shouldn't be glossed over in your basic training. Perhaps in the rush for a lot of LDS's and agencies to make diving fun like pink cotton candy and happyland, while saving dollars, and competing for the cheapest OW course, they are cutting their customers a little short on quality and safety. What's next? A coin operated instant diver booth that takes a photo and spits out a cert card?

Regardless, if a diver is so helpless that they can't follow the steps to do a buoyancy check, and adjust their trim, without an intructor present perhaps they may want to, at best, consider a little more pool time before risking both their own life and the lives of others in the open water. At worst a new sport. :wacko:

I agree completely!:thumb:

It's called PEAK BOUYANYCY
Get It!!!!
Gee anyone can go in a cave or cavern but they do have courses for that too. Anyone can dive on a wreak but to do it right I think you might want to take a Instuctor along if your going to do it the right way. Ask yourself this "how many times have you seen divers bouncing off the bottom or stirring up the silt or killing the coral. How many have you seem floating to the surface at the end of the dive and can't stop. I've seen tons. But maybe in your world everyone dives perfect and is in need of no futher instruction. I've seen divers that said they had 500 - 600 dives under there belt and couldn't stay off the bottom. Just courious One of you is a dive master and the other a rescue diver. Did you take any courses to get there? Or are you self appointed.

By the way I'm the only one that didn't give the guy any suggestions other than seek help from a profesional. Bouyancy is a very basic skill that needs to be mastered.

Why am I wasting my time?
There's no help for the perfect and close minded.

Fred

fgray1 once bubbled...
Get It!!!!

No not really...Can you run me through that again?
One of you is a dive master and the other a rescue diver. Did you take any courses to get there? Or are you self appointed.
What do you think? Was that rhetorical or just plain dumb...Maybe a bit of both?

By the way I'm the only one that didn't give the guy any suggestions other than seek help from a profesional.
Have you considered professional help for anger management? Just another suggestion...
I have no idea...Were you hoping I could answer this for you? Do I look like the oracle at delphi?
Lord it's hard to be humble...

No need for further debate.
Give someone enough rope and they usually hang them selves.
Hope I never need rescueing by you.
You have a great day. Try and keep your head as warm as possible. Warm blood flow will help.
Fred

No need for further debate.
I wasn't debating. I was slinging mud. There's a difference.

Give someone enough rope and they usually hang them selves.
Again...I don't get it. I admit I'm a little slow. Can you demonstrate?
Hope I never need rescueing by you.
So do I. But I wouldn't worry about me volunteering anytime soon.
You have a great day.
I will. No worries.

Try and keep your head as warm as possible. Warm blood flow will help.
Excellent advice. I am going diving tomorrow in the snow here. I will definately wear a hat between dives.

Thanks again Fred.

Me Too!
This is the only place were 2 people can have an almost intelegant discussion 1600 miles apart.
Take a minute think of something to say. You were probley a little cold. Spinel fluid running a bit behind. It gets thicker in the cold you know.
Fred

fgray1 once bubbled...
Get It!!!!
Gee anyone can go in a cave or cavern but they do have courses for that too. Anyone can dive on a wreak but to do it right I think you might want to take a Instuctor along if your going to do it the right way. Ask yourself this "how many times have you seen divers bouncing off the bottom or stirring up the silt or killing the coral. How many have you seem floating to the surface at the end of the dive and can't stop. I've seen tons. But maybe in your world everyone dives perfect and is in need of no futher instruction. I've seen divers that said they had 500 - 600 dives under there belt and couldn't stay off the bottom. Just courious One of you is a dive master and the other a rescue diver. Did you take any courses to get there? Or are you self appointed.

By the way I'm the only one that didn't give the guy any suggestions other than seek help from a profesional. Bouyancy is a very basic skill that needs to be mastered.

Fred

I don't mean to jump in here while you guys are having so much fun but I too have seen plenty of these divers bouncing off the bottom and silting the place up. I just think that the answer is better courses not more of them especially from the same instructor.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I don't mean to jump in here while you guys are having so much fun but I too have seen plenty of these divers bouncing off the bottom and silting the place up. I just think that the answer is better courses not more of them especially from the same instructor.

This is why i agreed with d33ps1x! I like the peak performance specialty, but it should be incorporated into the AOW at the very least, or even the OW. Bouyancy is not a dive specific skill only needed on certain dives (eg. reel work for caving) bouyancy is a fundamental skill required on all dives and should be taught and practiced in depth at an early stage of dive skill development!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom