Destin Jetties dive report 6/10/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After laying flooring until 10 pm on Friday night, I woke up on Saturday and felt like someone used my entire body for a punching bag :D. Undaunted by my physical condition, I got all my gear together and headed to the jetties. I was thinking that it was about 8 am on a Saturday so parking would be at least decent - WRONG. I had to park the furthest away that I've ever had to park. On the way to my spot I saw kchFLA and FSUgly (they got spots a little closer to the entrance but not by much). We geared up for the LONG walk. The water was a pretty blue and the viz was about 30' - 35' on the first dive. Here is the graph of temp and depth from my Sensus Ultra:

6-10-one.jpg

We saw lots of filefish, blue runners, toadfish, sandfish, sandperch, tiny damsels, porgy, snapper, spades, blennies, burrfish, tons of crabs, and one baby triggerfish. On the dive there were several divers we ran into. We attempted to get to the anchors on the first dive but we encountered some huge current as we rounded the point. The water was flowing in from the Gulf so hard that we had to do the hand crawl across the rocks. We turned the dive on kch's air before we got to the first anchor and were blown back to the North side of the finger jetty in quick fashion. I had quite a bit of air left in my tank (Carla at ScubaTech always gives me my money's worth :D) so I played on the North side taking pictures for a while. I finally came to the surface and kch decided not to do a second dive so she watched the gear as FSU and I walked back to the cars to swap tanks. On the way, I met up with one of the guys from my local scuba club (Scubaholics). We chatted on the way which kept my mind off that long walk. After swapping tanks and gearing up, FSU and I descended once more. The viz was a little less, 25' - 30'. Here's the graph from this dive:

6-10-two.jpg

We rounded the point and the current had stopped so we made it out to both anchors. We turned the dive and headed back in. There were not nearly as many divers out on the second dive as the first. We wandered our way back across the sand and into the cars. It was another good dive day, thanks for the great company kch and FSU. Here are some pictures:

610trocks.jpg

610tanchor.jpg

610stone.jpg

610hcrab2.jpg

610hcrab1.jpg

610camocrab.jpg

The strobe is on but I've been to lazy to rebuild the arm. I get more backscatter because it sits on top of the handle right next to the camera - gives a lot more light though!

Pretty cool little device. I was just reading the other thread on it.

So did you just get this for more detailed dive logging info?

I like the chart it shows. they even chart the temp.

too bad they don't support USB.

mike_s:
too bad they don't support USB.
Hi mike_s,

I responded to your question about USB in the other thread.

The Sensus Ultra is designed to connect to a serial port, but it works perfectly fine via a USB-Serial adapter. We offer one that works very well for users whose computers do not have serial ports. You could also buy one off the shelf at just about any computer store.

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

Yes, 2 good dives this past Saturday. I was surprised at the current pushing in on the first dive, and then pleasantly surprised at the lack of any current on the second dive. Great pictures, as usual, and it was good to see you again, yoda. As well, it was nice to meet another scubaboarder, kchFLA.

Take Care & Until next time.....:14:

Seayoda is a great dive buddy. And nice to meet you FSUgly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom