Destin Jetty Report w/Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
SeaYoda, Myself, and Kevin (a Non-ScubaBoard diver) met at the Destin Jetties around 12:30 PM. The parking area was completely full because of the Memorial day weekend. We had to unload our gear near the walk-through to the beach. Then, we drove around till we were able to get a parking space. It was a sunny day with a nice breeze.

We all made the trip down to the East Jetty. The new sand blown on the beach from the dredging a few months ago, has been knocked down to a managable height near the beach. Yoda and myself hit the water first. I haven't seen Yoda in a while, so we floated for a while catching up on life while we waited for Kevin to gear up.

This is the smile of a new Grandpa Yoda
YodaLives2.jpg

YodaLives.jpg

The Jetty area was full of boats. The commercial snorkle boats were bringing a continual flood of snorkelers in to the area. But, there were very few divers which made things nice once we got below water.
JettyWater.jpg

I had one of those diving days were a lot seemed to go wrong. I tested my dive computer at the house before leaving for the jetty. Apparently, my battery went dead in my AI sending unit because my computer would not read the pressure in my tank. Thank goodness for redundency, I used my backup pressure gauge and didn't have to call the dive. For some reason I also had a VERY leaky mask, with a camera and strobe in your hand, this makes purging fun. I only got a few pictures because early in the dive my camera froze up, and I was not able to take anymore pictures. The camera didn't get wet....it just froze. When I got home I took the batteries out, reset it, and everything worked fine. Yoda didn't bring his camera, so of course I knew when my camera went out that there would be plenty of things to take pictures of....and of course I was right.:shakehead:

Visibility was better then it has been in a long time. But still not great by jetty standards....we estimated around 40 viz in most locations. The tropicals are back and we saw an ABUNDANCE of young, juvenile fish. Blue crabs were everywhere also. We saw all the usual fish including grouper, wrasse, blennies, gobbies, puffer, and a few more I can't identify. Yoda might be able to fill in the blanks.

Damsel3.jpg

DamselUpClose.jpg

JettyFish.jpg

Grouper.jpg

We headed down the jetty and stopped at the shell pile. It has been picked over now that it is getting warmer. Kevin stopped to get some shells because his son, (which is our adopted grandson) was waiting on shore....and we better bring Dayton some shells when we go diving.:D

Kevinfindsshell.jpg

KevinwithShell.jpg

After spending a few minutes at the shell pile, we made our way to the metal box that we tie the dive flags too. Yoda pointed out a grouper??? by the box. We noticed that he had a hook and some fishing line still in his mouth. I got some pictures, but he would not let me get close enough to him to help him out. I would have liked to at least get the fishing line off of the hook.

Fishwithhook2.jpg

Fishwithhook.jpg

HookandLine.jpg

Kevin at the metal box
KevinatBox.jpg

We swam out towards the anchor. My camera stopped working before we made it out to where the anchor is located. There is only one small portion of the anchor visible...only about 1 foot of the anchor is visible anymore. There is a couple of feet of sand at the end of the jetty covering it up. We made our way around the end of the jetty and headed toward the large rocks on the Gulf side.

Once we made our way around the point the currents started to swirl and get a little weird. Kevin is a new diver and we did not want him to fight the currents and burn up a lot of air. I signaled to Yoda, and we decided to head back and take our time exploring on the way back.

We made a leisurely trip back to our entry point. We saw a large school of juvenile spade fish that would have made a GREAT picture. On the way back Yoda found a dead rock crab. I took the crab, removed the meat, and we made a lot of fish very happy. We were hand feeding damsels, gobbies, blennies, and a grouper crab meat. Within a short period of time, we had a lot of tropical friends....it sure would have made for some GREAT pictures if the camera was working!

I put the pieces down in the rocks for the baby fish to feed off of. When you stopped and looked at the rocks, they were swarming with extremely small blennies and gobbies....they were everywhere. There was certainly some healthy mating going on a few months ago....because the evidence is everywhere.

SeaYoda in action

YodaDives.jpg

In spite of computer, camera, and mask failure we still had a great dive. Water temperatures are rising. I recorded 74 degrees, on a 50 minute dive, with a max depth of 55 feet. As usual, Yoda stayed down longer with his AL 80, then I did with my LP108. After the dive Yoda told me an interesting story about a hitch hiker I had on the dive....and I didn't even know it. He can tell that story if he wants.

It was great diving with Yoda and Kevin, and I look forward to the conditions at the jetties getting better and better.

Awesome glen, nice to hear ur back in the water. I will probably be out on the Miss Teak this weekend with an at home class student down for vacation, i'll let u know what day, we need the official hellfish photographer back in the water with us, have fun man and glad to hear u had a good dive. BTW, i'm now curious about seayoda's story, thanks, haha.

Thnx for the report, the surface shots look like the carib waters

Having grown up in the Destin area I am a little prejudice, but I think our water is some of the prettiest in the U.S. When the tide comes in the Destin pass, it is beautiful sight. We are called the Emerald Coast because of our green water. The water is finally starting to get better and if my camera had not malfunctioned, there were a lot better pictures to be had. Oh well, there is always the next dive. Yoda was planning on diving the jetties again today, so maybe this time he will bring his camera. He has a REAL camera so the pictures should be much better.

Thnx for the report, the surface shots look like the carib waters

Let me know what day you will be diving....I might be able to tag along. If things keep heading in the right direction, looks like I might be diving the Oriskany June 1st, so that is the only day that I wouldn't be available.

Conditions are FINALLY starting to get better at the jetties. The currents were still a little weird based upon what the tide tables were showing. But, it wasn't a strong current and we had a very enjoyable dive.

Awesome glen, nice to hear ur back in the water. I will probably be out on the Miss Teak this weekend with an at home class student down for vacation, i'll let u know what day, we need the official hellfish photographer back in the water with us, have fun man and glad to hear u had a good dive. BTW, i'm now curious about seayoda's story, thanks, haha.

Last edited:
If anyone is wondering about the water temp, it was 75 degrees on Saturday and Sunday. I did Saturday's dive with no wet suit and got a little cool toward the end. I opted for the shorty on Sunday and was fine.

Viz is still very silty but you can see a pretty good distance through the haze.

Did you know cameras eat up 15 to 20 minutes of bottom time? I normally get 45 - 50 minutes on an AL80 with camera and pony. I went Saturday with just pony and Sunday with no pony and no camera. These two dives lasted about an hour and ten minutes each. I guess that is the price for working hard at stealing fish souls :D. I'm planning on taking the old C-5050 out today to get some movies if the water stays clear. I'll post a report if things go well.

The hitch-hiker GFWB is talking about was a blue crab. On the south side of the jetty the crabs seemed to be a little more jumpy. As I swam over them, several popped up and swam away. One of these swimmers headed straight for GFWB. The thing landed on his tank, crawled down and along his BC, and then to his head. I couldn't get his attention and he never felt a thing. I almost spit my reg out laughing at him.

Great report and conditions seemed like they were excellent! I'm envious! :D I hate missing the good days!!.... and the bad days!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom