Determining dive depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pyrite

Reaction score
This might seem like a stupid question but... When planning a dive to an unknown area how do you determine your maximum depth. In other words how deep do you plan the dive for if you don't know how deep a site is?

Umm how about using a sounder ?
Even a cheap fish finder will give you the depth.
Or look on the chart.
Of course if it is a shore dive then just plan a turn around depth into the dive plan.

Oh yea dont forget the local LDS, and an rientation of the local dive sites

From the beach you should always ask the local divers or LDS about the beach if you have never dove there. I know around here you need some kind of orientation to the site because of the rocky entries and surf.

Andy

Taking a reading is a good answer, but I suspect that if you had that capability you wouldn't have asked the question. Best bet is probably to ask. Charter operations will always have an idea even when booking where they are going and what kind of depths they might encounter. Ask.

If you're doing a shore dive, you can ask other divers more familiar with the area.

You're wise to be concerned about getting in over your head, as it were, so speak up. Ask questions, let people know about your concerns (and limits) when you're talking with them.

Normally, give or take a few feet is close enough. I don't know how new you are, but if you're a newly minted OW diver, take that 60 foot limit seriously for your first several dives. After that, you can start adding depth in gentle increments - first 75 feet, then 90 feet, etc. You'll be ready for AOW in no time. I'd also encourage newly minted divers to dive with an experienced diver for at least the first 10 or 15 dives - no matter what the C card says.

Are you ready to be planning dives to unkown places?

Steven

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
Umm how about using a sounder ?
Even a cheap fish finder will give you the depth.
Or look on the chart.
Of course if it is a shore dive then just plan a turn around depth into the dive plan.

Oh yea dont forget the local LDS, and an rientation of the local dive sites
Thanks for the constructive replys received so far. Sydney_Diver: stop and think, if I would have known what a sounder was or better yet owned one I wouldn't have asked the question. I am quite new to diving, just completed OW. Mostly lake diving around here, some quarry diving. So far most experienced divers have proven to be quite helpful so I will follow advice given and ask before I dive.

I will echo the recommendations to inquire with your LDS or divers experienced with the dive site - besides letting you know the depth of the site, they can also give you great information regarding easy entry, recommended areas or a "path" to follow to see neat stuff, best times to go, etc.

Pyrite
Where are you located? You don't have anything listed in your profile. I have asked the very same question, and gotten the very same answers. I am assuming that you are not boat diving (otherwise you would probably have a depth finder, or not) anyways, if it's shore diving that you are doing, just follow the slope of the land (underwater) and go to a predetermined depth that you and your buddy have agreed upon..use your tables for time limits, and have a great time....Now if you're just wanting to jump in (from a boat with no depth finder) to see what's there on the bottom, there's no magic answer for that....but we need a little more info on what kind of dive/dives you are considering...
Bobb

drop down till you see god and come up five

reefraff once bubbled...

Normally, give or take a few feet is close enough. I don't know how new you are, but if you're a newly minted OW diver, take that 60 foot limit seriously for your first several dives. After that, you can start adding depth in gentle increments - first 75 feet, then 90 feet, etc. You'll be ready for AOW in no time. I'd also encourage newly minted divers to dive with an experienced diver for at least the first 10 or 15 dives - no matter what the C card says.

Or...............

Dont go beyond 60 fsw UNTIL you have done an AOW class.

The rules start to change after 60 foot, Stay within your trained limits until you have been certified to go further.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom