Developing a Useful retainer clip for a stowed second stage (octopus)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So there has been a lot of discussion about how to stow a long hose for places that might require it. Myself, I'm using a 40" under-arm primary second stage, with a necklaced backup. For the meantime, I plan to switch my using my necklaced regulator during a dive, and would like to be able to clip off the longer hose to a chest D-ring, while having a breakaway feature for quick deployment if necessary.

In another thread, I saw someone linked to this clip: RAZOR Break Away Connector

And it occurred to me that this type of adapter is something that could easily be prepared with a 3D Printer.

The Basic Design goals are:
-a method to snap in a boltsnap, so the hose can be clipped to a d-ring
-a method to snap in a hose, so that it holds tightly enough that the hose stays in place, but
-can easily breakaway for deployment as necessary.

Does anyone want to give it a shot? I don't have a caliper to take the relevant measurements at the moment, but should have one get delivered soon, and then I can try to design something. @James79 do you think it would be easy to throw a design together?

So there has been a lot of discussion about how to stow a long hose for places that might require it. Myself, I'm using a 40" under-arm primary second stage, with a necklaced backup. For the meantime, I plan to switch my using my necklaced regulator during a dive, and would like to be able to clip off the longer hose to a chest D-ring, while having a breakaway feature for quick deployment if necessary.

In another thread, I saw someone linked to this clip: RAZOR Break Away Connector

And it occurred to me that this type of adapter is something that could easily be prepared with a 3D Printer.

The Basic Design goals are:
-a method to snap in a boltsnap, so the hose can be clipped to a d-ring
-a method to snap in a hose, so that it holds tightly enough that the hose stays in place, but
-can easily breakaway for deployment as necessary.

Does anyone want to give it a shot? I don't have a caliper to take the relevant measurements at the moment, but should have one get delivered soon, and then I can try to design something. @James79 do you think it would be easy to throw a design together?
Should be super easy to use that basic model you linked to, and recreate it. My only concern (that may be too strong of a word) is material choice. But ABS would probably be fine. I wouldn't use PLA, due to it's brittle-ness. Let me knock something together today, and see what happens!
Respectfully,
James

First sketch;
15909324386292126524614823824518.jpg
I'll print one shortly for fit checks.

These are widely available and inexpensive ... though I just use bicycle tube around the mouthpiece.

Doesn't have a DIR friendly label though, so likely another 2 failure points

s-l1600.jpg

These are widely available and inexpensive ... though I just use bicycle tube around the mouthpiece.

Doesn't have a DIR friendly label though, so likely another 2 failure points

View attachment 589100
I completely agree.... but sometimes my fun is in Re-Inventing the wheel!

An effective, reliable and widely accepted Octo clip :eek:!!!
Tis but a pipe dream.

Sometimes we just have accept that certain things are beyond the reach of mankind.

Even Elon Musk gave up on that folly!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom