Devils den?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtl01

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone been to a place called Devils den near gainesville in williston?
I'm going in about 1 week so can someone tell me bout it?

Check out www.devilsden.com

It is where I did some of my checkout dives. It is a nice dve, once. It is used mainly for classes. It is pretty cool though walking down into the ground, and the grounds are beautiful. My girlfriend loves to feed all of the HUGE catfish.

Thanks James that will help alot.
So is it cool or just mediocre?

It is pretty cool as a one day dive. However, it is not a place that you will want to go to over and over again. Right down the street from Devils Den is Blue Grotto. I like that place a lot more than Devils.

Check out the site at www.divebluegrotto.com

My husband and I have been to Devil's Den a few times, and we have really enjoyed it. The staff there is very nice, and it wasn't too crowded. However, we always went in January, so it may be a different story for the time of year you visit.

I'd have to agree with Big James, though. It's cool, and you do see lots of neat fossils and rock formations, but it's not somewhere you'd return to week after week. It's definitely well worth a visit, though!

The Den is one of the "must do" sites in N. Florida, but as others have said, don't plan on making a week of it! A few things:

It will probly be crowded on the weekend.

The vis in the man-made section will suck.

Don't try to do any UW Nav in the man made section (made that mistake with students once.. can you say "rebar" ?):(

You'll enjoy it, there are some cool swin throughs down in the den and you should be able to hit about 40'. Bring lights and follow all the appropriate common sense safety about overhead environments!

I did not enjoy walking up and down those stairs,, My wife never wants to go there again.. Scott

I think the Devil's Den is a great dive that everyone must do atleast once, Blue Grotto also. The stairs climbing out of the cave at the Devil's Den are rather difficult, I agree. It is a beautiful place to visit even for non-divers.

Hello,

I'll be doing my 3rd and 4th cert. dive at devils Den. Seen lots of pictures. It looks really cool. Can't wait to go. I just came back from Blue Grotto. I live in St pete, so it is quite a ride to get there 2.5hrs. We got in the water about 10:30am. it was awsome. Nobody was kicking up sedemant yet. Vis was endless. during out second dive around 11:30 vis was very poor. the bottom was all kicked up and it was crowded upto 30Ft. When we got down to 40+ feet the crowd really thinned out and we were free to move. Animal life consisted of catfish,perch, blue gills and mino's all staying above 30ft. It was a great 1st OW. Looking forward to Devils Den. Ooohh...is the temp still going to be 72deg at devils den?

Thanks
jeff

HI Jeff,

I just got back from the Blue Grotto, Devil's Den and Ginnie Springs.

I enjoyed them all and yes the water temp will be about the same as it was at the Blue Grotto.

As the other posts say, it's a neat place to do check dives and to explore around alittle bit but not a place to come back to every weekend.

There were tons of large cat fish at the Den with multiple swim throughs. I would probably say stay out of these until you have some experiance under your belt (besides if your instructor is following the rules he will not allow you to to this.

You also might want to try to get your instructor to go up to Ginnie Springs - another neat location and not that much further up the highway then the Grotto and the Den.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom