Devil's Hole Recreation Area (nwfwmd) - Upper Econfina Creek

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geogator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone ever been to and/or dove this site? There was a post recently on the FB group "Spring Hunters" that stated it was just re-opened after reconstruction by the WMD. The posting included the photos below and a couple of members mentioned that it's dive-able with a depth of around 40'. (There's also an extensive discussion in the post over whether it's classified as a sink, spring, etc.) I lived in PC for 5 1/2 yrs back in the 90s and have paddled Econfina several times but never heard of this place. I don't think the WMD owned it back then either, as they were just starting the process of acquiring the recreation areas at Econfina Creek/SR 20. I'm going to be visiting Bay County in mid-June after being away for almost 20 years and would love to check it out. Thanks!!

Devil’s Hole | Northwest Florida Water Management District

13173972_10209385691545306_5412945083850030558_n.jpg

Devils Hole is a sinkhole with an upstream spring in the floor on the eastern side. There is a strong flow with a fairly advanced sidemount cave. All the incoming water seems to flow down through the breakdown/debris cone in the center of the sink.
It is speculated that the water from the sink eventually comes out in Econfina Creek at Devils Hole Spring located just up from the Seashell Campground.
The caves on the Econfina are fairly advanced dives. Please stay out of any overhead areas unless properly trained and experienced.

Thanks for the low down Mark, that's exactly the info I was looking for. And rest assured, I have absolutely NO intentions of ever going in somewhere that I'm not properly trained for!! I'm not, nor do I ever want to be, cave certified. It's plenty for me to watch you guys' Youtube videos from the comfort of my desk and say "man that's cool looking but glad I'M not there".(shivers) Anyway, I'm just always on the hunt for a new place to get wet, whether it's to actually dive or just snorkel/swim. I am looking forward to diving at Navarre Beach on this trip though and possibly the St. Andrews jetties too, if time allows. Besides, finding a beautiful place to kill a couple of hours that's great for a picnic, a quick swim/snorkel to cool off and is off the beaten path, is getting increasingly difficult as the population in this state grows. Thanks again for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom