Devil's Throat - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he meant doing the dive with OW/recreational divers as opposed to cavern/cave divers, I don't think he was suggesting that AOW makes a difference.

Last edited:
As opposed to AOW divers? As we have discussed in here many times, an AOW cert in and of itself doesn't mean much. I only have an OW cert, but I have been diving for over 20 years. I doubt that an AOW class would show me much that I haven't already figured out.

I meant as opposed to technical (overhead trained) divers. I wasn't differentiating between OW and AOW.

Dave, you have a great reputation on this board, and I appreciate your participation in these threads. But of course you must realize that you don't control who else is in the DT, and honestly when you say "known skills..." I don't bet that you subject divers to the kind of buoyancy, propulsion, and problem solving tests that would be typical for overhead environment training. Your divers are recreational divers like most others in Cozumel; I'm sure you do a good job leading them, but still you're not training cavern/cave divers.

And while it's clear that OW divers in groups can safely get through this tunnel (they do every day) to me it's not fun considering the company. That's all I was saying.

Actually we do control who is in the DT. If there are others at the site we either wait or go elsewhere. But since we are usually the first ones out in the morning (leave at 7:30) we seldom do see others and are gone by the time they do show up.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

My new computer will only allow a PO2 of 1.4 or lower. Wussy computer.....anyhow, I wouldn't mind showing the damn thing who's boss by violating MOD occasionally but I wouldn't make a habit of it. But that's the least of the issues for this dive IMO. Far more important is the idea of sharing a long narrow deep tunnel with unknown divers of possibly questionable abilities. I don't really care how big their tanks are or what's in them. It's still a bit of a cluster **** Then again, I'm not one who generally enjoys crowds.

What kind of computer is that? And what does it do if you 'violate' the PO2 limitation?

Its a liquivison. I've never violated it so I don't know exactly, but the manual shows a visual PO2 alarm. You can set deco PO2 to 1.6.
I find on my Oceanic that if you set it lower you only have to silence the alarm once, at 1.6 the repetitive alarms are annoying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom