Devil's Throat - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Infantry_169

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone done this dive? I am almost done with my AOW, and planning next to do the Deep and Nitrox specialties. If anyone has ever done this dive can you tell me, first how was it and second, how difficult is the dive?
:mooner:
:D

We did this dive about a month ago. While certainly not a beginner dive due to the depth, I wouldn't say it was it was the most challenging dive I have done in Cozumel either. Of course, the day with did it, the current/drift was almost zero. Perhaps if it was stronger, that would make it more challenging.

No nitrox on this dive as its too deep for Nitrox 32, the common mix on the island.

Being further south, its a long boat ride, but the reef around there was in good shape, as was the dive we did afterwards, columbia shallows. Made for a great 2 dive combo.

I wouldn't recommend this dive for a novice diver.

Could you successfully complete the dive without any problems? Maybe. It depends on how good you are with buoyancy control and gas consumption.

Could something bad happen? Certainly. It's a swim-through at a depth near the limits of recreational diving.

There are many fun dives to do in Cozumel that are more appropriate for a beginner. For someone with your training and experience, the risks are too great to do Devil's Throat. Consider doing this dive after you have more deep dive experience. You'll enjoy it more. Just my 2 cents...

It depends on the shop you dive with how it can be. We've dove it 3 times, and each time was different. One nameless shop all you did was do the swim thru, do safety stop and that was it. 2 other times, did the swim thru and the reef for a multi level dive. 2 weeks ago I actually had to follow deco stops for the dive, we went to 129' for a total of 43 minutes. Also, some shops charge you extra to go that far south and there is a charge for a dive light if you don't bring your own. Our shop 2 weeks ago ws Dive With Martin, no charge to dive the far south end.

Could you successfully complete the dive without any problems? Maybe. It depends on how good you are with buoyancy control and gas consumption.

Could something bad happen? Certainly. It's a swim-through at a depth near the limits of recreational diving.

There are many fun dives to do in Cozumel that are more appropriate for a beginner. For someone with your training and experience, the risks are too great to do Devil's Throat. Consider doing this dive after you have more deep dive experience. You'll enjoy it more. Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the information. I will do that. I definitely don't want to overreach. It just looked so cool. But this is why I asked, so I could learn. Thanks again.

I've done it twice and to me it's not much of a dive if there are many in the group. Too much time is wasted at the entry & exit getting everyone organized & then re grouped. In your case air consumption would likely be a problem too because in general newer divers use air much faster, and at that depth you'll be going through it fast. I'd rather be drifting along the wall rather than fining gently down a hole with very little to see in it except for the silt kicked up by those ahead of me.

We did this dive in late Sept early Oct. We swam through twice on one dive. We did exit out at 118'. If the dive operation can, and most can, place you close to the entrance, It is an easy descent to the opening. I agree with the others that bouyancy control and fin kick discipline are important. I only have a few dives under my belt and felt confident in myself and my dive buddy and DM. Exiting out into that deep blue is amazing. I will have to admit, I was concentrating so much on bouyancy and not wanting to kick up the sand for the divers behind that I did not get to really enjoy the dive as much as a more seasoned diver would have. We had one diver with us that really thought it was no big deal and he would not do it again. I will be doing it again! I can not say about Nitrox as I was just diving air and steel 120's.
I would say it all depends on your abilities and confidence as to weather you want to do the dive or not. There are a few close quater spots and a few hard turns; but, I felt they were managable. I had no complaints from the divers behind me... so I think that is a good thing.

I'd rather be drifting along the wall rather than fining gently down a hole with very little to see in it except for the silt kicked up by those ahead of me.

Ditto. I've lost count of how many times I've done this dive. It's not my first choice if heading that far south. I'd rather do Maracaibo shallows or Maracaibo deep. But there's always someone on the boat that wants to do this "trophy" dive. And since there's always another day, I am happy to go along. But divers with poor buoyancy control make this dive miserable for those behind them.

If you do end up doing this dive one day, I'd recommend that you do it near the end of a long week of multiple dives so your air consumption is much improved, you are more at ease with your pre-dive routine, and the dive masters know you well. I would also mention that I'd have your normal night dive light with you, not just your back-up light in a BC pocket. Whatever you do, go in a small group of 4 or less and try to be the first one through right after the DM. One of the "turns" is more like a "head first verticle decent" and if you don't see the person in front of you invert and head down, then you'll be wasting air in a stall pattern trying to "see" in the dark for the hole the diver ahead of you just dove down through...
It is however a true beautiful dive to come down headfirst out of.... Watch your computer and depth gauge! It's so deceiving that deep when you've just come out of darkness into the lush, blue abyss. Yes, it's a trophy dive like mentioned above and a rite of passage so to speak, but just make sure you are ready for it so you won't feel stressed over the hype of it! Relax, breathe and enjoy your other island dives until you decide to tackle this advanced dive site.
PS, out of 9 trips to the island, we've only done this dive twice. Both times we spent too long waiting on the other divers to pop out of the darkness and didn't get much more of the dive completed. When you are that deep, waiting on others is NOT my idea of good use of air in my tank, so that's why I mention the number of divers in your group and my other suggestions. Hope this info helps.

I fully agree with the above post. In retrospect I did a few dives that I admit were not safe as a result of my enthusiasm and over confidence when I got my ticket. The more I dive the more conservative I have become.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom