Dewalt Batteries Thru Routan Customs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Oldbear

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone taken Dewalt 9ah batteries thru Routan’s Customs? Wha about smaller size batteries? We are staying a week in Roatan and wanted to bring our Blacktips.

Has anyone taken Dewalt 9ah batteries thru Routan’s Customs? Wha about smaller size batteries? We are staying a week in Roatan and wanted to bring our Blacktips.
Customs only concern is for merchandise of commercial value… resale.

If it looks used, if your name is ink-marked on it, deff NOT in any packaging, doubtful that they will even glance,

Outbound, leaving? Customs is a non-entity

You’re now going to have to dance with two levels of TSA, one of the airline, and another that occurs behind another wall. Or the one at the magnetometer, or the one that is just 8’ from the tarmac. Good f’n luck with that. Odd electronics, wires, and batteries!!! They pretty much so have a cottage industry sucking every AAA to D cell out of your baggage.

I’ve watched them hoovering EverReady batts so furiously that they actually missed my Red $225 Victorinox (as fat as a mouse in a popcorn plant)

It will make you seriously examine the “need” or use for a scooter versus actual utility, cost benefit ratio is lopsided.

There really is no current and…. The slower one goes in Roatan, well… you might actually see something

Thanks Doc…I as hoping you would chime in.

I have been thinking about getting some of the cheap knock-off batteries and lsaving the Dewalts home. Then in my mind just call these a travel expense. I saw some on Amazon for about 20% of my Dewalt.

BTW…DPVs definitely not a need, just fun as hell😎🤙🤗
Bring books for the kids if you have that much luggage weight available.

Roatan is essentially a full-foot pocket fin place. Sure, people show up with legit flippers, too, but i hope you get my drift. You really gotta beat the bushes to create a tech-dive requirement.

No one will laugh (not directly right in front of you) but if you want to amuse the locals?

Sure, bring them DPVs, ePirbs, cased GPS units, cell phones, 8’ tall SMBs, EAN clean spare airs, slung tanks (extra giggles if you dragged your own 30 cf with you), redundant twins, two Perdix, tinted lenses, 12’ primary…. Remember them OO7 life rafts that nestled under the chicks-will-dig-it DiveRite Plutonium Backplate and don’t forget that 65# wingset.

K.I.S.S.

If they are lithium (LiION) you should be carrying them on. Not supposed to check them. I carry all my camera batteries on board.
I did have an issue one year when trying to leave. The kid at the airport seemed to really like my AA rechargeable and said I could not fly with them. We went round and round until I asked for his supervisor. Then he dropped it. So I continued to ask for his supervisor and he kept deflecting. I finally got to speak with the boss and was told without a doubt that it was proper to carry them on. The kid was asked to take a break. It was clear the kid was hoping I'd cave and just leave them.
It's always helpful to know the rules and speak the language.
This was the ONLY issue we have ever had (or heard of) with Roatan Security (TSA).

Back
Top Bottom