DGX Custom - Stainless Steel Finger Spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drpetracca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've owned the spool for over a year. Besides practicing to shoot a bag at the local quarry (Dutch Springs), never had a need to use it. During the year (150 dives or so) the stainless held up very well with zero evidence of any rust formation. The hi-viz line is exactly that. I use that same line on my LM reel (which I also bought from DGX) which I have used many times on the local wrecks and I was and still am impressed with how easy it is to spot. Regardless, last weekend during my dive on the San Diego, conditions suddenly changed where the current picked up significantly and the viz dropped. My buddy and I became separated, but I only realized it after swimming with the current "toward" the anchor. I turned and my buddy was gone, she thought I headed up the anchor line, so she naturally "followed". I had shot past the anchor line without realizing it (the strobe, which was what I was looking for failed), so by the time I realized it I was quite a ways to stern. I started back only to find myself fighting a strong current, given this was the end of the dive I realized I would burn through my gas pretty quickly fighting that current, and at 80 feet could not use my deco gas until 20 ft. So I tied onto the wreck and shot a bag using my DGX Custom - Stainless Steel Finger Spool with the dacron line. During the entire ascent and deco, I felt confident in the line holding me in place and not breaking. It felt secure/solid easing my mind quite a bit knowing I was not going to be blown off the wreck as long as I did not let go of that line. DGX is my go to place, and I only turn elsewhere when they do not sell the product I'm looking for. Great products and great service - love these guys. Just placed another order today. Why would I take the time to write a review? Real simple, these guys and their gear take care of me, I'm just tying to do likewise. View attachment spool.pdf

I use the stainless with dacron line in the cave as my safety spool. I've been very happy with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom