Diabetic Dive Doctor??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bojaemela

New
Reaction score
I am in need of a Central Florida phyysician that can sign off on my dive physical. I am an insulin dependent diabetic that wnts to learn scuba (open water..nothing too crazy :D). My doc won't sign off (he's too cautious i think). Please pass along the name of a central florida doc that knows diving and diabetes.
Thanks in advanced for your assistance.
Bob

Although diabetes is no longer considered an absolute contraindication to diving, according to this set of Guidelines for Physicians used by several recreational scuba certifying agencies (Guidelines start on page 3, the quote below is from page 5): http://www.wrstc.com/downloads/10 - Medical Guidelines.pdf
Severe Risk Conditions
The potentially rapid change in level of consciousness associated with hypoglycemia in diabetics on insulin therapy or certain oral hypoglycemic medications can result in drowning.
Diving is therefore generally contraindicated, unless associated with a specialized program that addresses these issues. [See “Guidelines for Recreational Diving with Diabetes” at www/wrstc.com and www.diversalertnetwork.org.]
Some information from DAN can be found:
DAN Divers Alert Network : Summary Form - Guidelines for Recreational Diving with Diabetes
DAN Divers Alert Network
DAN Divers Alert Network

If you haven't already, you might want to absorb this info and share it with your physician.

Back
Top Bottom